Sauber F1 car cutaway

This is the place to post any topics related to the NJBMWCCA Community that don't fall into the other categories.
teezee

Sauber F1 car cutaway

Post by teezee »

The Sauber F1 team took one of its cars and cut the darn thing in half, right down the middle, then shot a video explaining what you’re seeing. As top secret as Formula 1 is, this is an astounding thing for a team to do. Granted, it’s a two-year old car – Peter Sauber isn’t an idiot – but still, you gotta love their openness.

The video is terrific to watch... the compactness of everything. What is done to maintain the lowest possible center of gravity. The complexity... yet F1 cars have never been more reliable.

The team even trots out one of its drivers, Sergio Perez, to sit uncomfortably half-assed – literally – in the car (in most modern open-wheelers, you lie down more than sit, and the driver’s feet are actually at neck level).

Click here to go to GrandPrix.com’s video of the cut-away Sauber F1 car.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns24161.html
2011 Z430i Crimson Red over Ivory
2003 325iT Oxford Green over Sand

pauln

Post by pauln »

Thanks for sharing. Very cool stuff. Never realized how low the driver is positioned to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

MTROIS

Post by MTROIS »

Woaw... The driver's bottom is really super close to the track!
2019 M2 Competition (Euro Delivery!)
2008 M3 Coupé
1995 M3 LTW
...all Manual Transmissions!!

RonG

Post by RonG »

Thanks for posting this! For my part, the cutaway view really brought home the incredible strength of carbon-fiber reinforced honeycomb. In cross-section the monocoque appears absurdly delicate, yet it's enough to keep the driver from being obliterated in a 100+ mph crash. Amazing technology.
2011 Azurite Black/Oyster Individual 335xi
2003 Black Sapphire/Natural Brown 330Ci
2022 San Remo Green/Oyster 430i