Insurance for Autocross?

Have something to say about autocross? This is the place.
M4Z8

Insurance for Autocross?

Post by M4Z8 »

I can't wait to try my first autocross with my '16 M4! I'm first trying to understand insurance details. Seems my insurance company may exclude this type of event. Anyone have the names of NJ auto insurers that may be onboard with autocross participation? Any suggestions regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

mcahn

Re: Insurance for Autocross?

Post by mcahn »

A few years ago a representative from High Point Insurance came to one of our driver schools to market their insurance. They stated that their coverage did not exclude HPDE (driver schools) or autocross, and gave the club a letter confirming that. They since merged with (or were acquired by, I'm not sure which) Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock at one time had a similar statement about HPDE and autocross on their web site, so the policy on this seemed to still be in effect. I can't lay hands on a link to that information, though.

The cars in my family are covered by Plymouth Rock for this reason. I've never had a claim related to an HPDE or autocross, so I can't tell you what would happen if you had one. To really be confident about this coverage I think it would need to be written in the insurance policy which I'm pretty sure it is not.

I used to have insurance with another major insurer, I can't remember which. I asked my insurance agent about HPDE/autocross coverage and the agent discussed it with the company at length. The company said that not only did they not cover those things but, if I participated in those things, they wouldn't cover me at all, and I had to change insurance companies. That's when I switched to Plymouth Rock.

If you get a clearer picture I'd be really interested to know.

-- Matthew

mcahn

Post by mcahn »

And I'd like to add .. welcome to autocross! It's a blast!

Matthew

M4Z8

Post by M4Z8 »

Thank you, and thanks for the info! Another avenue would be if anyone knows any companies that have a product that covers "one day" track insurance?
-Dan

mcahn

Post by mcahn »

I see a lot of references to Lockton (mostly advertising, I think):

http://locktonmotorsports.com/product/hpde-insurance

-- Matthew

jwhite

Post by jwhite »

Dan,

Since autocross is timed, it is considered racing and therefore outside many HPDE-type insurance policies. Beyond that, the cost of a one-day track event policy is quite high compared to the cost of the auto-x itself.

You might try contacting someone at SCCA (or consulting their various websites) to see if they have arranged coverage for their auto-x competitors. With their large and national presence, they have the numbers to make it worthwhile for an insurer to get involved.

Good luck.

Jeff

dngo

Post by dngo »

mcahn wrote:A few years ago a representative from High Point Insurance came to one of our driver schools to market their insurance. They stated that their coverage did not exclude HPDE (driver schools) or autocross, and gave the club a letter confirming that. They since merged with (or were acquired by, I'm not sure which) Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock at one time had a similar statement about HPDE and autocross on their web site, so the policy on this seemed to still be in effect. I can't lay hands on a link to that information, though.

The cars in my family are covered by Plymouth Rock for this reason. I've never had a claim related to an HPDE or autocross, so I can't tell you what would happen if you had one. To really be confident about this coverage I think it would need to be written in the insurance policy which I'm pretty sure it is not.

I used to have insurance with another major insurer, I can't remember which. I asked my insurance agent about HPDE/autocross coverage and the agent discussed it with the company at length. The company said that not only did they not cover those things but, if I participated in those things, they wouldn't cover me at all, and I had to change insurance companies. That's when I switched to Plymouth Rock.

If you get a clearer picture I'd be really interested to know.

-- Matthew
I switched to High Point for the exact same reason. The link where it stated that autocross and HPDE with NJ BMWCCA were explicitly covered has been revised and that language has been removed. The link is:

http://www.plymouthrocknj.com/ways-to-s ... ub-america

Unfortunately I do not believe that benefit is active any longer. That is disappointing - I will likely switch insurance providers at the next opportunity.

Dave
'15 MCR P90D <- the stealthy daily
'98 TiAg M3/4 <- the Bus