WTB - Differential for 98 M3

Engine, Transmission, Final Drive, and anything in between belongs here.
pietern

WTB - Differential for 98 M3

Post by pietern »

Some how I managed to damage my read end last week, when I drive it makes a lot of grumbling sounds.

I have a 3.73 LSD in my garage, would this work on my 98 M3?

Thanks

Nigel

BJerolimic
Location: Glen Ridge, NJ . . . . . . '98 318ti - '01 M5 - '08 X5

Post by BJerolimic »

if the 3.73 is from an e36 (non Ti) then it should work, although depending on what you are using it for you may not want it. It will give a really nice acceleration boost, but you will lose top speed. Also your gas mileage will suffer as the RPMs will be much higher at any given speed compared to your 3.23 you likely have in there now (3.38 if yours is an automatic)

If you need it I have a spare working 3.23 I can sell you for cheap however since it's for a track car I have drilled and tapped the front mount point to accept an m14 bolt so that it won't snap on the track. You would need to drill out the front diff mount bushing on the subframe so that it accepts an m14 bolt to pass through it

and gone but not forgotten:
'00 323Ci Steel Grey / Black Dinan & UUC & Schnitzer mods
'89 325iX Diamond Black / Black 4dr 5spd Dinan chip, Ireland exhaust, H&R+Koni
'01 525iTa

pietern

Post by pietern »

Thanks for your reply, at this point I will have to accept your offer. I will sent you a PM

pietern

Problem Solved

Post by pietern »

I was asked to replace both rear tires this afternoon, because they were no good. Replacing the tires solved my rear end noise.

:D

I was told it's not normal for BMW differentials to go bad. I need to figure out why the tires were so uneven.

Thanks you
NP