SOLD!!! FS: Beater 1995 525i 5-speed (calypso red) $300 obo

Selling a BMW? Looking for one? This is the place for you.
jcsuri

SOLD!!! FS: Beater 1995 525i 5-speed (calypso red) $300 obo

Post by jcsuri »

I’m parting with my well-loved 1995 525i 5-speed with 310K miles. The car starts and runs reliably but at this mileage, weird stuff sometimes breaks. Its days of hard daily use and long trips are over. Before I junk the car, I wonder if anyone would be interested in it. It would be great for one of the following purposes:

•It is the perfect car to teach a teenager or significant other to drive stick. It is a big, heavy car with a relatively small engine that requires a gentle touch to get going without stalling. It has had a relatively recent clutch change, so there should be lots of meat left on the clutch disk.
•The transmission has been trouble free and the center console is in good shape, so if anyone is interested in converting an e34 auto into a manual, all the parts are there.
•Commuter/winter car for local trips, like the train station

Features and recent (?) maintenance items:
•It is a 1995 OBD-I vehicle that no longer needs DMV inspection.
•It has Bridgestone RE-960’s on it, with a decent amount of tread.
•Clutch/pressure plate/ TO bearing/guibo/shifter bushings ~20K miles ago. The car has a lightweight, single-mass flywheel.
•Front end rebuild with new Bilsteins ~30K miles ago
•Cooling system maintenance (radiator/water pump/thermostat/hoses) ~30K miles ago
•Starter & alternator (the originals lasted nearly 250K miles) ~70K miles ago
•A/C condenser, dryer and expansion valve ~40K miles ago. A/C currently works great.
•Brake fluid and coolant changes every two years.
•Transmission and differential oil changes every 30-40K miles.

Current issues:
•The car has started to burn oil (~1qt/300 miles)
•ABS/ASC light on since I replaced the heater hoses. Most likely I broke a wire or knocked off a hose somewhere under the intake manifold…
•A driveline vibration under acceleration has recently developed. I suspect that the car needs a center support bearing. It is still drivable.
•Driver’s seat bolster is worn and has holes.
•Both front doors have rust along the bottom edge.
•No accidents, although damage to the front passenger door was professionally patched and repainted years ago.

If interested, please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx