Track days and Time Trials

Use this forum to talk about club racing.
DanaRobbins

Post by DanaRobbins »

Hello!! I'm a BMW owner (94 325i, 05 330xi) and a member of the Connecticut Autocross and Rally Team (CARTCT). We would like to invite members of the NJ BMWCCA to join us at any of our upcoming track day events in 2007! On the schedule is Lime Rock Park in Connecticut on June 21, Pocono (south course) on July 23 and Pocono (north course) on August 31.

These events are run in an "open track" format (as opposed to structured "sessions") whenever possible until mid-afternoon, when a time trial is held for those who wish to participate. At Pocono the trial is followed by a "tag team relay" which is a 25 lap "practice / trial / have a blast" team event. Registration is currently open for all events - online registration, PAYPAL accepted.

For more details go to www.cartct.com. Come and join us for a super day of "gofas"!

Dana Robbins
dana.robbins@comcast.net

petesamprs

Post by petesamprs »

Dana,
How do your track events differ from the driver's schools we have? I love the idea of getting additional days at lime rock or pocono in a given summer, but I want to make sure I won't be signing up for an event with overly-competitive, aggressive driving.

Plus I guess if the runs are timed you're insurance is shot, compared to "driver's school" where you can at least make a case.

thanks.

DanaRobbins

Post by DanaRobbins »

Pete: The day is generally less structured. For those requesting instruction you begin with a walk around of the track. You then go out with an instructor (usually in the drivers seat). It is up to the individual instructory to determine if they are willing to "ride shotgun". Novices then get their own run group (1 session) to get their feet wet - then (at Pocono at least) it's on to open track. Go on and off the track as you wish, with or without an instructor as you wish. At LRP we sometimes stict to a schedule of "sessions" all day - it depends on the number of cars. We do our best to keep the number low enought to run an "open track" format there as well whenever we can.

You may find some more agressive driving going on than the BMW shcool days. HOWEVER - CART adamantly enforces the rules of courtesy and safety. All passes MUST be cleanly completed within the designated passing zones. Point by's are encouraged, drafting through the turns is discouraged, any form of blocking in unnacceptable.

Regarding the insurance - if you don't participate under the clock you wouldn't have that as a factor. Honestly - any time you take your car on the track you have little hope of getting any payback from your insurance company - school event or not. Buy track day insurance to cover your ride if it's also your "streeter".

Hope to see some of you at our events! If a number of BMW club members sign up and want to run the trial portion we will even create a new class for the day just for your group if you want - and provde awards based on the number of cars.

Dana.

jont

Post by jont »

As with other BMW events, are "stock" convertibles banned?
-Jon Trudel, #163357

alken

Post by alken »

I apologize if I'm missing it on the site, but what are the costs for the Pocono days?
ImageImage

kishg

Post by kishg »

alken wrote:I apologize if I'm missing it on the site, but what are the costs for the Pocono days?
according to the website, the cost is $175

iDEASConsulting

Post by iDEASConsulting »

This sounds like some good fun, I'll be signing up.
Rides...

07 M Coupe
93 VW Corrado VR6
04 Buell Firebolt XB12R

kishg

cart july 28th pocono event

Post by kishg »

i just got back from this event. this was my first event with cart and i am happy to report that aside from the incessant rain which cancelled the time trial portion of the day, everything went very well. i didnt see or experience any overly aggressive driving and the open format certainly allowed for plenty of track time for all. despite the rain, off track incidents seemed limited. So all in all i was happy and will be back for the aug 31st track day.

tks,

-kish