misfire, no compression on cyl 4

afadeev

misfire, no compression on cyl 4

Post by afadeev »

Folks,

I think my N14 engine on the R56 MINI just bought the farm.
Massive misfire started out of the blue on I-78, car limped home on three remaining cylinders. No forewarning of any kind. Just check engine light on the way home, then loss of power, then intermittent stalling.

Read the codes - there is a TON, but all point to massive misfire all around, and particularly on cylinder 4.
Pulled the plugs - the one in cyl 4 was missing its electrode altogether! Reset all codes.
Put new plugs in, still misfire on cyl 4, car runs on three cylinders. Reset all codes.
Swapped coils around hoping that one is bad - still misfire on cyl 4, car runs on three cylinders.
Ran compression test on cyl 4 - gauge read ZERO compression. I tried on other cylinders to make sure gauge is not broken - sadly, gauge and other cylinders are OK, cyl 4 is not. Could be stuck/bent/etc valve, could be something more dramatic.

Can anyone suggest ANY scenario from the above description that does not end up with me rebuilding the existing or buying a new N14 engine?

TIA,
alex

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

Zero compression (as you know) is not a good sign. The head will definitely have to come off. Probably a dropped valve. It's not the end of the world as long as the bottom end is ok, which it probably is. Stop running it though, you are just doing more damage.
17 F15 X5 40e
17 F25 X3 28i MSport
11 E92 M3 ZCP
04 E46 325cic
93 E36 325is - JS #172
12 Ford F350 King Ranch dually

warrenbrown

Post by warrenbrown »

Alex
Sorry to hear. I agree it shouldn't be used. Cooper or Cooper S? How many miles? Good luck with the repair.
Warren

afadeev

Post by afadeev »

warrenbrown wrote:Alex
Sorry to hear. I agree it shouldn't be used. Cooper or Cooper S? How many miles? Good luck with the repair.
Warren
56K miles, convincingly out of warranty.
Turbo Peugot (sp?) engine (N14A16), automatic tranny = no chance of an over-rev.
Car is parked at the dealer who did not volunteer any goodwill beyond knocking off $300 from $8800 engine swap quote. I will tow it home tomorrow and start taking it apart myself.

I always wanted to get a classic P-car and rebuild it in the spare time with the kids. That project may just be starting early with a MINI instead.

alex