R56 Cooper S maintenance

afadeev

R56 Cooper S maintenance

Post by afadeev »

As a husband of a new MCS R56 owner, I get to drive the car occasionally and like it. The run-flat tires don't do ride quality any favors, but the handling and (minimal) torque steer are very good for a FWD car.

I've replaced the oil when we got the car @17K miles, and should get another free oil change from Mini in a year or two (every 15K).

Is there any other proper/preventative maintenance that the car should receive to make it last?
What are the usual week/failure points?

Thanks,
alex

P.S.: Between myself and the PO, the car has had following unplanned maintenance events:
- windows controller reprogrammed (windows opening on their own) @16K
- 2 kamikaze headlights replaced - internal plastic aiming mechanisms self destructed @20K - replaced under warranty.
- last week I got random traction control + brake lights ON after hitting a pothole. Both went out after ignition ON/OFF cycle

larryengel328

Post by larryengel328 »

At the very least, I'd be doubling up on the oil changes, especially with the turbocharged motor. Pay for your own between the free ones from Mini if you're planning on owning it for the long haul. (It couldn't hurt!)

I agree with you on the run-flats. I put non-RFT winter tires on ours, and I plan to buy non-RFT's for summer when the OEM's are done. I bought an M Mobility kit for emergencies, but I think I'll also get the CCA Roadside assistance plan.
CURRENT FLEET
2017 X5 35d
2000 328i (my first and still probably favorite)
2019 230 X-drive
2006 M3
2022 M3
Gone but not forgotten- 2008 E90 M3, 1991 325iX, 1989 325i, 2015 M235i Cabrio, 2019 Miata RF

afadeev

Post by afadeev »

larryengel328 wrote:At the very least, I'd be doubling up on the oil changes, especially with the turbocharged motor. Pay for your own between the free ones from Mini if you're planning on owning it for the long haul. (It couldn't hurt!)
Agreed on 2x oil changes - the filter is easily accessible and a no-brainer DIY. Especially after calling local dealers and getting $150-180 Mini oil change quotes - that's more ballsy than any BMW dealer ever dared to ask for an oil change on any of my bimmers.

I assume coolant and brake fluid flushes at old fashion BMW intervals (every 2 years, or annually if the car is tracked). Any tricks to DIY brake flushing?

How about slush box tranny fluid/filter - any opinions?
I found this site that... :
http://repairpal.com/mini-scheduled-maintenance
... that suggests flushing it every 30K miles. I would be shocked if BMW/Mini cover this under the free service plan.

How about diff fluid?
With engine/tranny/diff all jumbled together in one package, does it even have a separate diff fluid, or is part of the tranny (yes, this is my first FWD car)?

thanks,
alex