Coolant requirements.

brunhuber

Coolant requirements.

Post by brunhuber »

Hi all,

My coolant low warning light (yellow) is coming on during startup and then goes away after a few minutes. I assume this means it is low and until pressure builds up the sensor is illuminated.

What kind of coolant is best to add to BMWs or does it differ between models? I assume the coolant is supposed to be mixed 50/50 with distilled water?

--Norbert

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

Use only BMW coolant and mix it 50/50 with distilled water.

BJerolimic
Location: Glen Ridge, NJ . . . . . . '98 318ti - '01 M5 - '08 X5

Post by BJerolimic »

I agree with Jeff. also carefully inspect for leaks. especially around the expansion tank as they are notorious failure points on M52TU and M54 engines and you don't want it to crack and leak all the coolant and leave you stranded

and gone but not forgotten:
'00 323Ci Steel Grey / Black Dinan & UUC & Schnitzer mods
'89 325iX Diamond Black / Black 4dr 5spd Dinan chip, Ireland exhaust, H&R+Koni
'01 525iTa

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

Right. The M54 also should have a level indicator when you open the expansion tank. Do this cold and fill until the float indicator reads full. Run the car and then in a couple days when it's cold recheck the levels. Agree with Brent...check for leaks these are notorious.

How many miles on the engine? Its recommended that you do the water pump and thermostat at 60K. Also a known failure point.

brunhuber

Post by brunhuber »

Only 41K miles on the motor, so I think I'm OK. I checked the expansion tank and it looked dry and also didn't have any dried liquid streaks on it. Not sure why it cooked off the fluid but I will replace and then monitor it to make sure I'm not burning or leaking any. Thanks guys.

--Norbert

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

Another place to check for telltale coolant stains is the thermostat; another fairly common leak point.

Vic

brunhuber

Post by brunhuber »

Just got bought the coolant. I thought you needed to mix this with distilled water to avoid mineral deposits. The counter guy said I just need normal water to mix it. The bottle doesn't specify anything but "water" either. What gives?

--Norbert

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

Use distilled water. To me its worth the peace of mind.

BJerolimic
Location: Glen Ridge, NJ . . . . . . '98 318ti - '01 M5 - '08 X5

Post by BJerolimic »

personally I only use distilled... my water here is so hard (maybe I should say my minerals are so liquidy?) that putting it anywhere creates mineral deposits so it's not going in my cars

and gone but not forgotten:
'00 323Ci Steel Grey / Black Dinan & UUC & Schnitzer mods
'89 325iX Diamond Black / Black 4dr 5spd Dinan chip, Ireland exhaust, H&R+Koni
'01 525iTa

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

Quite honestly its probably not a bad time for a coolant flush and refill. Personally I do this every two years.

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

Here's another vote for distilled or deionized water. Distilled is probably easier to find as Shop-Rite has it in gallon containers.

When doing cooling-system service, be sure to remove the block-drain plug. If you don't do this, you will only drain about half of the system.

Also, be sure to replace the sealing ring on the block drain.

Vic