2004 X3 Sun roof

stanleyc

2004 X3 Sun roof

Post by stanleyc »

Does anybody know of a used complete sun roof cassette for a 2004 X3 with performance and sport package. I don't know if extra packages are critical or not. Or is there a repair kit available to repair them? The front window is loose when open and the rear window will not tilt. Would like to replace entire unit rather than using repair kit. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

RAYADAM

Post by RAYADAM »

If you decide to go used ,try and find a later production e83 .the frames are improved but still prone to failure. Even with a used one,I would buy the repair kits that are available and have them installed.
If you are mechanically inclined to tackle this ,it's a tricky repair. the roof in your car may or may not be repairable due to it's age.Getting one from a dealer is not cheap but at least have 2 year unlimited warranty.
Good luck
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

stanleyc

x3 sun roof

Post by stanleyc »

thank you for the reply. are the kits available from the dealer? i did the sun roof on 530. it took awhile but i did it. thanks for the input about a newer model. i didn't think they would interchange

RAYADAM

Post by RAYADAM »

They are available , but may not work well with older panoramic roof assemblies.Assuming the 530i was a single glass,it's much different than a double panel. kits have alot of small parts and easily broken if not done right. If you decided to try and do it , and have it all togther. be sure to operate it manually before plugging it in . one wrong assembly could destroy it beyond repair.
good luck
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

stanleyc

Post by stanleyc »

Thanks Ray. I am finding that out from a few people I have talked to. I will be looking for a newer model at a recycling center and replace as a unit. I talked to a bmw service mechanic and he said that they do not do them any more. They send them out or tell them to keep it closed and enjoy the view. My 530 was a single trac

Stanley

RAYADAM

Post by RAYADAM »

stanleyc wrote:I talked to a bmw service mechanic and he said that they do not do them any more. They send them out or tell them to keep it closed and enjoy the view.

Does this BMW service mechanic work at a dealer? If so,that's strange if they send them out. Every dealer has sent either some or most of there techs for a hands on training course for this.

If finances are an issue with this repair , then best to try to get roof closed and secure . disconnect the front motor. the rear motor drives the shade,if still works ,at least you'll have that feature.
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

stanleyc

Post by stanleyc »

No he does not now, but he said that when he did the mechanics would run for the exits when one had to be repaired. I did find 2 recycling places that have them in the car yet. I am going to check them out. I was wondering if there is an independent BMW mechanic that rebuilds them or is willing to tackle the rebuild. For now it closed and with the cold weather coming I can check further into getting one from a wreck, or seal up the hole and make a winter project out of it. Thank you again for the information.

Stanley

sgoatley2001e46

Post by sgoatley2001e46 »

Hey Stanley,

Sorry for joining the conversation late. If you're looking for a BMW recycler, there is a company that frequently has parts on eBay. Not sure that's much help, but thought I'd mention.

Scott

stanleyc

Post by stanleyc »

Thanks for all the replies. I did find a auto recycler in Mays Landing NJ and one in Douglassvile in Pa. The prices were $700 and $650, 30 day warranty. Still not sure what to do. I also found that Pelican Parts has complete new BMW trays without the glass for $1600 with a 2 year warranty, that is better than a complete assembly from BMW for $4,000 . I initialized it for the 2nd time and now it seems to work better, but from all the sites I was on it is ready to be changed. These sun roofs seem to be trouble some after a few years, especially if the person did not take care in lubing it and keeping the tracks clean. The sun does a number on the plastic parts and they become brittle. Thanks again for the responses.

Stanley

RAYADAM

Post by RAYADAM »

$4000 ? , last I remember we did one and the complete roof with color coded headliners was $2800.. with club discount, most dealers would honor 20% off .. might get it around 2200-2400 .. from what I remember it includes the glass and shades. install and initialize and your done .if i am mistaken .. I'm apologizing in advanced.

Please be advised , we use centering tools to make sure roof is installed correctly . also i strongly advise to replace the roof seal while you have panoramic assembly out. this will minimize wind noise and water seepage.

good luck and keep us posted.
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350