Front End Alignment on 04 745 Li?

Catanzaro

Front End Alignment on 04 745 Li?

Post by Catanzaro »

2004 7 Series. Alignment may need to be done. I have been told by an idependent front end shop that the DSC/DTC/VSC in the vehicle (one of these has to be reset and it would be another $69.00.

Anyone ever here of this?

Please advise?

kbsilver

Post by kbsilver »

I have not heard of this exactly but something similar that may impact these systems. For a 'proper' alignment there is a steering angle sensor that must be calibrated when the alignment is being done. This sensor provides input to the cars stability control systems. These systems need to accurately know where the wheels are pointed to properly run their algorithms.
-Keith

'11 335D & '17 340GT

mclarenf3387

Post by mclarenf3387 »

They shouldn't have to do anything with the DSC system when doing an alignment. The only cars where you need to mess with anything else while doing an alignment are cars with active steering.

RAYADAM

Post by RAYADAM »

Steering angle sensors should be initialized after alignments,we've had some cars in the shop with ABS/DSC lights on (or were on and went off).this especially when customers steering was off center(even slightly) before alignment was performed.
Mclaren is right,the active steering cars need to have technician have the diagnostic mobile device on hand during the alignment.I will not even tell you what needs to be done on the new 7 (F01/02)yet until the time comes :)
Catanzaro,alignment is pretty much straightfoward.car needs to be set at the proper ride height..align vehicle and have the steering angle initialized afterwards.I would only let a independent that knows what there doing or simply let a dealer do the job.just do yourself a favor and make sure all suspension and steering components are in good condition and not excessively loose,that will surely stop a good alignment.
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

+1 on Ray's thoughts. Any shop aligning BMWs needs to have the proper weights to load the car with. This sets the car at the proper height where the specified alignment settings apply.

I also agree that the steering-angle sensor needs to be initialized after the alignment. The exception to this would be if the steering wheel is already perfectly centered when the car is travelling in a straight line.

Be sure to have the shop give you before- and after-alignment printouts so you can see what actually was done and for your records.

Vic

Catanzaro

Another Question

Post by Catanzaro »

Boy,

You guys & gals are very helpful. I have 18" wheels with Bridgestone Turanza. I then purchased 19" wheels and new tires. This all started because of the new rims and tires.

Is it possible that this will cause the alignment to shift? I will put the 18 " back on to determine what is happening with the slight pull to the right. Car is very sensitive with these new tires.

I do not want to have to align the car if I have summer and winter tires?

Please advise?

kbsilver

Post by kbsilver »

As long as the proper offset wheel is being used, tire size will not impact alignment. The reference is the centerline of the tire. Changing tires/wheels should not impact alignment. Slight pull to the right may be normal due the crown of the road (for drainage). Larger tires are likely a bit more sensitive to this. See if it tends to pull as much in the left lane where the crown of the road is less or in many cases pitched to the left.

The only time I've ever had the car aligned is following suspension work, or hitting a pothole bad enough to bend a wheel (which did not impact alignment anyway)
-Keith

'11 335D & '17 340GT

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

Although differing size wheels and tires can affect the steering response and handling of your car, they should not affect the static alignment.

Having said that, sometimes the optimal alignment settings for a particular car will be different when wider tires are fitted. For example, less camber may be beneficial.

If, after fitting different tires and/or wheels, your car has a steering pull, the first thing to do is reinstall the removed wheels and see if the pull is gone. Many times, a tire can cause a pull that feels just like an alignment problem.

Vic