E65 Control Display Monitor 8 Orientation Menus--not working

alexave

Post by alexave »

My friends 2002 745i, with approximately 84k miles on it, radio stopped working right after he turned it off using the radio button. Upon turning the radio back on the next time he used the car, not only the radio didn't work anymore but also the nav and all the control display settings (like, the settings, car data, communication...). after it is turned off and back on the same thing occurs ie: not working. He checked all the fuses everything is ok. Unplugged battery and replugged same prob nothing changed. He did the MOST [ASK] bus reset with key in and saw the red light blinking in the fiber optic cable [located in glovebox]... after unplugging the fiber optic cables there was some kind of electronic noise coming from inside the dash/glove box/6cd changer... almost sounded like there was a cd being picked up by the 6cd changer in and out....in and out.... but it wasn't really doing that, doing my best to explain the noise it was making. After 30 secs or so he plugged the fiber optic cables back in. He turned off the car and turned it back on, and then saw a change on the monitor, sort of looked like it was reset wasn't working still. He also noticed a hazard sign where time and temp display is in between the rpm and speedometer, and noticed that it said recharge battery. As another diagnostic step both battery cables were disconnected from the battery for about ten minutes, touched together, waited ten more minutes and reconnected to the battery. There was no change in the display or other issues. It has only been a few days since this problem began for him and I mentioned that I would post it to this forum. He doesn't have warranty anymore so any help to solve it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Alex[/b]

RAYADAM

Post by RAYADAM »

Hi Alex,
I gotta say ,you did an excellent job diagnosing the car so far!! If I understand your problem correctly,no radio(no audio?,does the gong sound[key in islot,door open,etc]? if car has PDC,do they work?) ..I'll do my best to help, scanning the vehicle with factory equipment would help diagnosis this much quicker.
The noise you hear from the changer is absolutely normal when the most bus(fiber network) goes down or a break in connection.is the screen completely blank? assuming the possibility of a most "light" break , you can look at each module on the MOST bus and check for the "light",these modules include Radio itself(ASK "the master" ) ,control display(the screen), CD changer(glove box), antenna module (in L/side C-pillar), TCU,voice module(SVS),NAVI,LOGIC7 amp (which you have because the car has a CD changer). best thing is to buy a fiber optic loop and bypass each module one by one to see if audio/visual systems restore. or simply look for light.if no light,you'll need to trace the green fiber cable to the module it came from and then check to see if the module is powerless or simply bad.
sorry this can be a bit confusing and long, but figuring of what you done already..you may be able to figure it out.. unfortuanely,and please understand.any module replacement will need to be programmed and coded to work properly .. it'll be a good time to get a 2002 car upto date anyways.

good luck
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

alexave

Post by alexave »

Rayadam, thanks for the detailed response. We partially did some additional diagnosing as follows: To answer the immediate questions; The radio does not come on at all. The gong does not sound with the key in slot, engine off and drivers door open. The convenience package [automatic door closing, upon light closing it pulls the door shut] functions normally. The screen is completely blank when there is the break in connection [MOST bus reset was performed]. When reconnected power returned as it took the reset. We did not get a chance to do the individual module test yet [we have to locate their individual locations] and we'll provide that information in an update post. We additionally tested the battery and charging system. Static voltage was 12.75 V, cranking voltage was 9.7 V, charging voltage was 13.75 and load test voltage was 10.5V at 10 seconds load. The needle on the volt meter was not steady during charging voltage test as it would pulse to 12 V every 7 to 8 seconds. Not sure if this info has any impact to the other system but i thought I would include it as most systems are fully integrated. Any additional help would be most appreciated.

Catanzaro

Catanzaro

Post by Catanzaro »

I had a similar problem in where the Radio and NAV went down and were not functioning. No sound and the I Drive was not functioning properly. Removed the fuses and it cleared the problem. 3 hours later, something else happended with the NAV (different language). Removed fuse and it cleared itself. Has not happended ever since. Thank God. The car is an 04 with 57K under CPO. I beleive the radio and nav are not covered. Please advise us if you get this problem resolved because this could cost a lot of money @ the dealer. my e-mail is dtodarello@optonline.net

Thank you.