2004 745 Li (Resetting oil change interval)

Catanzaro

2004 745 Li (Resetting oil change interval)

Post by Catanzaro »

How do you reset oil change interval on the 2004 745 Li? I assume that you also need to be near the 15K mark to do this? I wish to change my oil (synthetic) every 7.5K miles? Please advise?

edw1

Post by edw1 »

I bet there is some sort of procedure to reset the service interval reminder that involves turning the key and pushing the odometer reset button. You could also never reset it again and ignore the reminder. The worst that will happen is the reminder flashes -4000 for a few seconds after you start the car. I have not reset it in my 2001 E46 for about 75k miles spanning about 15 oil changes.

Ed
ImageImage

pietern740il

Hope this helps

Post by pietern740il »

alken

Post by alken »

If you do not yet have a Peake Research scan tool, consider picking one up. Beyond the function of reading BMW Factory-Specific fault codes (NOT OBDII), they will also reset the oil and service inspection interval reminders.

We carry the full line of these tools. Our diagnostic tools page is www.bmwscantools.com.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me - ken@bimmertools.com.

Ken
ImageImage

TimCircleBMW

Post by TimCircleBMW »

Ken. A reset tool cannot reset the individual services on the newer cars. The cars have "Condition Based" service indicator. Each service can only be reset through the cluster. This is not a GOOD thing for people as no special visit to the dealer is needed nor is there the need to buy a reset tool. Bad for you and me!

Tim

alken

Post by alken »

Really? I know the Peake tool works to reset oil/service inspections on newer (including '04) E46s - is it different for the other platforms?
ImageImage

Catanzaro

Reset Procedure

Post by Catanzaro »

With the vehicle shut off, you have to press the button (start/stop) 1X or 2x and then hold the reset cluster on instrument panel. I tried resetting originally after oil change & system would not allow. Wondering if you have to drive a certain amount of miles before you can reset it. Also BMW has had so many software updates on the 745 Li (E65/E66) that they may have programmed the car that only the dealers can reset the oil intervals. I like changing the oil myself and have always enjoyed. I can not imagine having to spend $150 @ dealer when I can change my own oil for about $65-$75. If anyone with a 2002 + 7 Series has changed their own oil and reset their indicator through the cluster, please advise me on how it is done or you need to wait until the service is almost due and computer will not allow you to reset, etc.

Thank yoiu.

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

You should be able to reset the service-interval reminder on an '02 Seven without connecting any external devices.

A detailed procedure was just published by Bavarian Auto. I'm sure they will send you a copy of their Winter 2008 "Fast Times".

800 535 2002

Having said all that, I agree with Ed that you should not be relying on the reminder to perform oil changes. My recommendation is that the motor oil be changed two to three times as often as suggested by the reminder.

Vic