Synthetic Oil

kjwhitehead

Synthetic Oil

Post by kjwhitehead »

When I purchased my car last fall, I noticed that there was a recent oil change done and the next interval was only 3,000 miles from the last change. I am thinking that they did not use a synthetic oil during the oil change which would have had a much longer interval. Can I intermix synthetic oil with regular oil since I need to add a quart or should I do another oil change and replace the filter and all the oil?

ThumpersGP

Re: Synthetic Oil

Post by ThumpersGP »

kjwhitehead wrote:When I purchased my car last fall, I noticed that there was a recent oil change done and the next interval was only 3,000 miles from the last change. I am thinking that they did not use a synthetic oil during the oil change which would have had a much longer interval. Can I intermix synthetic oil with regular oil since I need to add a quart or should I do another oil change and replace the filter and all the oil?
If it was me,I would change the oil (while hot) and replace filter.then you can sleep comfortably knowing what is in your car. please share what model and year car you have..

Ray

kjwhitehead

Synthetic Oil

Post by kjwhitehead »

Ray,
I have a 2001 740iL and purchased it (my first BMW) last fall.

Kevin

NJMC40

Post by NJMC40 »

I'd change it.

You never know what the previous owner put in unless you have Dealer Service records that says synthetic oil.

Check this site for Oil change procedures, I posted it also on your missing pixel thread.

www.e38.org
90 E30 M3
04 E46 M3
04 Cooper S MC40 1 of 1000
02 525i Touring M Pkg
99 M Coupe
02 745li
99 328ci M Sport
07 Aston Martin DB9 Volante
01 911 Turbo
89 911 Cabriolet
15 Macan S
09 Cayenne GTS
18 Range Rover Velar
16 Range Rover Evoque
16 C300 4M

kjwhitehead

Synthetic Oil & Oil change

Post by kjwhitehead »

Did the oil change (8 qts Castrol 5w-30 full synthetic per BMW) and replaced the oil filter, "O" ring, copper washer, andoil filter canister bushings.

I haven't yet figured out how to reset the dash display. I tried jumping pins 7 and 19 as per the instructions on the e38 site but it didn't reset.
Regards,
Kevin

2001 740iL Sport

Manta69

Oil Service and Inspection Light Reset

Post by Manta69 »

On 2001 and newer BMW's, resetting the maintenenance lights is done strictly through the OBDII connector under the dashpanel to the left of the steering column (where there is no round 20 pin connector present under the hood). Peake makes a tool for about $125 which will do that in addition to retrieving DTC's from the DME. I happen to own this tool, if anyone in the Edison/Fords area needs to borrow it.

~Joseph

dngo

Re: Oil Service and Inspection Light Reset

Post by dngo »

Manta69 wrote:On 2001 and newer BMW's, resetting the maintenenance lights is done strictly through the OBDII connector under the dashpanel to the left of the steering column (where there is no round 20 pin connector present under the hood). Peake makes a tool for about $125 which will do that in addition to retrieving DTC's from the DME. I happen to own this tool, if anyone in the Edison/Fords area needs to borrow it.

~Joseph
Your offer is quite generous and I am sure everyone appreciates it. The Peake tool is very useful to retrieve any codes. To reset the SI lights, there is an alternate method (that works on 2001+ E39s, at least) that people can use if in a bind.

From bmwtips.com:
BMW Oil Service reset for 2001 ~ current

No need for reset tool for 2001+ model by: Moko

BMW insp. reset

- Iginition OFF (POS 0)

- Press and Hold the trip odometer button while turning key to position 1 (ACCESSORY)

- Keep the button depressed (about 5 secs.) until you see "Oil Service" or "Inspection" with "Reset" or "Re" in the display

- *Note: On vehicles with "High" cluster, you will also see the amount of fuel (in litres) remaining until next service

- Press the button again and hold for approx. 5 secs. until "Reset" or "Re" flashes

- While the display is flashing, briefly press the button again to reset the Service Interval. After the display has shown the new interval you should see "END SIA" for about 2 secs.

Note that if the "Reset" or "Re" does not flash, then you have not met the minimum consumption level and cannot reset.