E36 M3 Throttle Body Repair?

stymie

E36 M3 Throttle Body Repair?

Post by stymie »

I believe the throttle body is the one for a '95 M3 3.0ltr. (I have a 3.2 ltr with OBD1 conversion).
Looks like the mechanisms that actuate the butterfly valve from the throttle cables has rusted causing the throttle to stick. Probably because I had no splash guards under the car for a while.
What are my options?
Can't seem to find a repair/rebuild place online for it.
I don't want some old used one off Ebay.
Not really finding stock new replacements on the net.
Dinan sells a high flow version but wants a $325 core charge and I'm not sure mine would pass their inspection due to the rusted mechanisms on the sides. Plus they are our of stock while they get around to fixing their production equipment for it.

stix217

Re: E36 M3 Throttle Body Repair?

Post by stix217 »

Have you checked REALOEM for the part number? It might help you find other models that used the same part.

stymie

Post by stymie »

Yes, I have seen the part number on realoem. Still not really finding new ones online. One place said they could get one but it was over $400 so still searching for better options if there are any.

stymie

Post by stymie »

Finally got it working without replacement. just needed a good cleaning. At first W-D 40 only helped a little. After a few days it penetrated and was a little better. Then used carb cleaner inside and out. Gave it another blast a little later and it finally had full range of motion on it's own. Then sprayed the linkages with W-D 40 to help keep them moving and slightly lubed. Used some white lithium on the rusty spots to help slow down their rusting and keep them lubed.

Last couple times at the mechanic I mentioned it was starting to run a little crappy and was idling high. And if they could give it a quick tune. Both times they ignored me. If they didn't it never would have gotten so bad it could no longer be driven and me thinking at that point it was an electronics issue. Electronics comes in to play as the computer tries to account for it not working right which compounds the issue. Probably going in and out of limp mode.