Steering wheel cover?

mcahn

Steering wheel cover?

Post by mcahn »

Hi all,

I, and all the previous owners, have worn through the leather on the steering wheel of my '01 M3 (coupe, 6MT, 138k miles), exposing the foam underneath. I've looked around for a cover but haven't found anything. The worn spot is around the 8 o'clock position, where the heel of my hand rests when at the 9 o'clock position. Does anyone know of a cover, or another fix, short of buying a new steering wheel?

Thanks,
Matthew

jimoreno

Re: Steering wheel cover?

Post by jimoreno »

The easiest and cheapest (besides buying a WalMart or PepBoys piece of plastic) is Wheelskins. However, since it has already been worn off all the way to the rubber you might feel the difference if you are picky. Another option is to have it re-wrapped with a leather replacement cover. UUC is now the US distributor for their BMW line. The cover is about $140 and then you need someone to remove the old leather and install the new one. A process that takes at least 4 to 5 hours (I've done a few of the older E28 & E30 steering wheels). The steering wheel has to be removed from the car (disconnecting the battery first so that you don't get an airbag error) but besides a new wheel, this is the best route. I've attached some links for your informattion.
Wheelskins: https://www.wheelskins.com/
UUC: http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/3-series ... -c900.aspx

mcahn

Post by mcahn »

Thanks for the reply. Wheelskins looks like a good option. The worn place isn't that deep so I don't think I'd feel it through a cover.

Is replacing the cover with a UUC cover a do-it-yourself operation, or do I need an automotive upholster or other professional?

Matthew

jimoreno

Post by jimoreno »

It took me five tries to get the one on my E28 to be aceptable so it is not for the faint of heart! This is one that I did for a friend back in PR:

mcahn

Post by mcahn »

That looks very nice. Do you take off the existing leather, or does the new covering go over it?

jimoreno

Post by jimoreno »

You need to remove the old leather and the glue that is used on some areas of the spokes. After working with the cover around the rim you will need glue (contact cement) to hold down the leather on the spokes. As I said before, it takes about five hours of work to go from an uncovered wheel to a finished one (if everything goes alright!). I used it as a hobby, stress reducing thing. I enjoyed doing it even though sometimes the thread snaps and you have to start the last segment again!

mcahn

Post by mcahn »

It sounds like just my kind of thing!

colin

Post by colin »

jimoreno wrote:I used it as a hobby, stress reducing thing.
Right.

JRLNJ

Post by JRLNJ »

There are big differences between Wheelskins, and the RedlineGoods cover sold by UUC. In price: Wheelskins are available on Ebay for $50. The UUC cover is over $150.
In fit, and appearance, the UUC cover is the only one close to original; it covers the spokes, and thumb rests. I installed one
From Redline on an old Corvette, that had the options of additional padding on the rim, and added
Thumb rests.
The leather has a more prominent grain than the Wheelskins.
Installation of the Wheelskins is a half hour job. The Redline/UUC cover usually requires you to
Remove the wheel, and will take 4 hours or so, the first time you do one.
I love the finished result, but I did not find it stress relieving.
Good Luck.

mcahn

Post by mcahn »

This is very useful information. I like Colin's cautionary tale. It all reminds me of the three weekends I spent trying to glue the drooping fabric back on my door seal. Eventually I gave up and replaced the whole door seal. Ask me anything about specialty adhesives.

Matthew

mderienzo

Post by mderienzo »

I don't have any experience with the UUC cover but I do have Wheelskins covers on all of my cars. For the cost and time to install (both relatively small), the feel and quality are excelent in my opinion. I also like the fact that the Wheelskins cover goes over the existing leather / covering and makes the steering wheel a bit fatter. You will feel any imperfection in the original cover throught the Wheelskins cover, however.

Mark
2007 4Runner
2008 128i 6MT