Incontinent E60 - Power Steering Fluid Leaking

ajcaruso

Incontinent E60 - Power Steering Fluid Leaking

Post by ajcaruso »

2006 E60 550i 6spd man, Active Steer/Susp, 49K mi, bought CPO 36K mi 2009

My 550i has started piddling PS fluid on my garage floor and apparently, the neighborhood.

About a month ago, it displayed a diagnostic warning about low PS fluid (dash graphic showed tilted vehicle on a triangle). The reservoir level was below the dipstick, but some fluid was still visible at the bottom. I bought a can of the proper fluid (CHF 11S) from my local dealer, refilled the reservoir and went for a 20 minute drive - all seemed well. Two weeks ago, before using it again, I checked the reservoir and it was again below the dipstick and a small puddle of fluid was below the car.

My local independent machanic (Gary/EuropCar) was good enough to put it up on the lift, remove the under-engine shrouds and look around. Both L/R steering rack boots were covered with fluid, but not distended. No fluids were visible above the boots. I was desperately hoping for a bad clamp or hose, but it looks like the seals are leaking on both sides of the rack.

I've had no accidents, nor any bad potholes/curbing and the under-engine shrouds are intact, so I don't think there's been any physical damage to the rack. I've only put 12K mostly highway miles on the car in the four years I've owned it.

The rack alone is over $3000(!) from BMW. Are there any reliable sources for rebuilt racks? I've also heard of a seal kit, but it seems like a huge job (just removing the rack seems to require supporting the engine and dropping the subframe). Mike Miller has informed me of other owners have bad luck with rebuilts/used racksand often spent more than the $4K dealer repair.

Has anyone had any similar experience/advice?
What do you all think the odds are of getting some sort of good-will repair or discount?

Anthony
Morristown, NJ

BJerolimic
Location: Glen Ridge, NJ . . . . . . '98 318ti - '01 M5 - '08 X5

Post by BJerolimic »

if the good will angle doesn't work (can't hurt to try), several members including myself have used Rich @ http://www.rackdoctor.net for rebuilt racks. Not sure if they have them for e60 550, etc but he is very helpful so worth a call

good luck

and gone but not forgotten:
'00 323Ci Steel Grey / Black Dinan & UUC & Schnitzer mods
'89 325iX Diamond Black / Black 4dr 5spd Dinan chip, Ireland exhaust, H&R+Koni
'01 525iTa

Eurosport

Post by Eurosport »

Just looked up the parts and labor on that job knowing what that job intales I would go with a new rack. I could get you a new zf rack for 2500 not much savings but some. call me at 908-403-5113 if your intrested.

Sean

ajcaruso

Post by ajcaruso »

BJerolimic wrote:if the good will angle doesn't work (can't hurt to try), several members including myself have used Rich @ http://www.rackdoctor.net for rebuilt racks. Not sure if they have them for e60 550, etc but he is very helpful so worth a call
good luck
Checked the leads, but they don't have anything for the ActiveSteer
rack on my 550i.

I've come across a used rack, but given what I've heard its too chancy.

Eurosport wrote:Just looked up the parts and labor on that job knowing what that job intales I would go with a new rack. I could get you a new zf rack for 2500 not much savings but some. call me at 908-403-5113 if your intrested.
Sean
Thanks and I wouldn't call $500 'not much savings' :o
What do you think labor would run at a dealer? I like my local
mechanic, but supporting the engine seems to need some
equipment (looking at the BMW service manual). I've been quoted
$600 by another private mechanic.

ajcaruso

FIXED: Incontinent E60 - Power Steering Fluid Leaking

Post by ajcaruso »

Good news - BMW agreed that blowing both rack seals at 48K miles
was unusual and picked up the cost of all parts, leaving the labor/alignment
as my responsibility.

All in all, a good deal from BMW NA and BMW of Bridgewater NJ.