Need: M50 Cam Sprocket turning tool ASAP!

jimoreno

Need: M50 Cam Sprocket turning tool ASAP!

Post by jimoreno »

Hi everyone!
I'm working on my son's E34 525 (M50 engine) and need the camshaft sprocket turning tool. I bought the camshaft timing tool but didn't realized that I needed an extra special tool to get the VANOS unit off! I was planning on replacing the seal anyway as I was suspecting it was not working properly (no codes but car pings frequently and gas mileage is around 20 MPG).
Does anyone have this tool available? I can pay for renting if needed. Head is almost out but need this to remove VANOS and remove timing chain.
This is my first time working on an M50 and I surely hope is the last one! My M30 is so much simpler!
Let me know here or text me nine 7 three 7 thirtyfive 44 seven eight

Thanks is advance!

dude8383

Post by dude8383 »

You can usually slip on a 24mm thin head wrench on the cam itself some place in the middle to rotate it. May need an additional wrench on the end of the cam to help get it to rotate.

jimoreno

Post by jimoreno »

That I actually managed to do with an adjustable wrench. I was referring to the exhaust gear tool that is used when re-installing the vanos. I worked it out by hand and it worked ok. The engine feels good and strong and no more overheating! My son is happy and I'm happy.
Thanks anyway!