Anyone have CarSoft? ABS/DSC/Brake lights on intermittently

BJerolimic
Location: Glen Ridge, NJ . . . . . . '98 318ti - '01 M5 - '08 X5

Anyone have CarSoft? ABS/DSC/Brake lights on intermittently

Post by BJerolimic »

Wife's 2001 525iTa has intermittent trifecta of ABC/DSC/Brake lights and her speedo stopped once. I inspected the wheel speed sensors when putting on her snows this past weekend and didn't notice any frayed wires/connectors. I didn't pull them and clean them because I was also redoing the entire cooling system and was zonked and needed to finish working on it (I'm just now recovering from being sick since July so kinda weak, yes even weaker than I was to begin with lol)

I realize the Peake is of no use here but I believe CarSoft may be able to help me diagnose the issue. Does anyone in NNJ have CarSoft and some time in exchange for some beer? Or if someone has CarSoft and is going to the Monthly Meeting on Tuesday that would work too

thanks!
Brent

and gone but not forgotten:
'00 323Ci Steel Grey / Black Dinan & UUC & Schnitzer mods
'89 325iX Diamond Black / Black 4dr 5spd Dinan chip, Ireland exhaust, H&R+Koni
'01 525iTa

MrMCoupe

Post by MrMCoupe »

Brent,

The last time I had this type of error it was the ABS module. I sent it out and had it rebuilt. Check the connector for the ABS unit. Maybe you got some antifreeze on it.

Mark

BJerolimic
Location: Glen Ridge, NJ . . . . . . '98 318ti - '01 M5 - '08 X5

Post by BJerolimic »

thanks Mark!

I tried all the free fixes first:

- cleaning of existing abs/wheel speed sensors
- swapping Left Rear speed sensor (speedometer related one) from my other e39 to this one
- cleaning of engine bay grounds on passenger side (where ABS mod grounds to)

none of that worked, so I sucked it up and started searching for info on ABS module rebuilds (the PO of my M5 had a new ABS module installed right before I purchased it and it was like 1200 or 1500 so I figured taking a chance on a rebuild was worth saving 1000+ bucks!). The two companies I found that were most recommended were Module Masters ($300) and BBA (@ $100 if you find their deals on eBay (apparently not always offered, in which case it's @ $200)). I went with BBA since I found a listing on eBay for < $97.50 including shipping both ways to MA and back. Sent the module in on a Monday, received it and reinstalled it on Thursday of the same week! All has been fine with the car ever since and btw BBA has a lifetime guarantee on the rebuild!!!

one note, apparently it is quite common that the modules can not be rebuild but in that case BBA will give you a full refund including on the shipping both ways I believe!

and gone but not forgotten:
'00 323Ci Steel Grey / Black Dinan & UUC & Schnitzer mods
'89 325iX Diamond Black / Black 4dr 5spd Dinan chip, Ireland exhaust, H&R+Koni
'01 525iTa

m20power

Post by m20power »

Brent,

I've got Autoenginuity and like beer. Does that count?

Bob
'11 335i Convertible - Street
'02 325Ci - Street
'97 M3 Coupe - Street
'17 340i - Wife's ride
No automatics!