engine cleaners

smoore1127

engine cleaners

Post by smoore1127 »

my 85 535i is burning oil (at 295000 miles). i am assuming i have carbon build up in the engine. No oil drops under the car. what is a good engine cleaner. I was told to use Seafoam products. Any advise?

jimoreno

Post by jimoreno »

If it is burning oil, there is no way a "cleaner" will help you. It is either leaking past the valve stem seals beacuse they have hardened or you have bad piston rings. First, how much oil is it using? Up to one quart per 1,000 mile is considered "acceptable" per the engine manufacturers. Also, what grade of oil are you putting in it? You should be using 15W-50 and you can use it all year round. I fyou are using thinner oil (say 30) it tends to increase consumption.

smoore1127

Post by smoore1127 »

yes i am down about a quart every 1000 miles.. I use castrol 10w 30.

will castrol 20w 50 work? 15w50 is mobile one right?

thanks for the advice.

sgoatley2001e46

Post by sgoatley2001e46 »

I have to agree with jimoreno's comments. Burning oil is not indicative of needing a cleaner. The heavier weight will probably be better in this circumstance. Carbon buildup is a natural occurence when burning gasoline. Using a higher octane fuel should limit how much carbon will be in the engine, but in a car with 295K miles, build up is bound to be present.

However, if after you figure out your oil burning situation you are interested in an engine cleaner, I strongly recommend the kit from Bavarian Autosport. (www.bavauto.com) At nearly 300K miles it couldn't hurt you one bit. It's a "kit" comprised of Lubro Moly products that they carry anyway. I have a car with high mileage and used it at my last oil change and continue to add treatments when I add fuel. I've noticed a difference. The oil is cleaner upon checking, and the car seems to be running more efficiently...about 2.5 mpg better overall.

I've heard that Seafoam is a good product line, but he people who I know that have used it are putting it in domestic cars. Given that Lubro Moly seems to be better suited for European cars, I would stick with those products for your BMW.

Good luck!

smoore1127

Post by smoore1127 »

thanks for the advice...

edw1

Post by edw1 »

10W30 is way too light for an M30 unless you are north of the Arctic Circle in January. Check your owners manual and you will find oil weight recommendations for various temperature ranges. 20W50 is the way to go in the summer and is probably good down to ~32F.
ImageImage