Whole bunch of '85 E28 info needed...

MosportGreen66

Whole bunch of '85 E28 info needed...

Post by MosportGreen66 »

If anyone can help with the below, that would be great! Thank you in advance.

I also want to note that much if not all of this information is found in the owner's manual which I do not have, so I am sorry if these requests seem annoying or trivial.

1) When I replaced the battery in my '85 528e, the computer reset itself to km/hr, degrees in Celsius and some other useless parameters. I am wondering how I reset the computer to more helpful notations?

2) These BMW's had a nice option in the computer/engine shut off that is activated by a code. I do not know if this shut off works on my car, I do not know the past owner's security code (nor do I care). I was wondering how I could reset the security code for the computer/engine shut off to some number I will not forget.

3) How much does a replacement catalytic convert cost?

4) Assuming a shop works at $90 per hour labor, how much do you think an entire brake job will cost? New brake rotors, pads and hoses cost + the cost of labor?

5) If anyone has an owner's manual for a 1985 E28 I will gladly take if off your hands!

Thanks very much.
-Dan

MosportGreen66

Post by MosportGreen66 »

I replaced the cat today. $240 and parts and install. Car is running much better than it was.
No rattles or odd noises and the exhaust does not smell. On monday she is going in for the major overhaul.

Stay tuned.

jimoreno

Post by jimoreno »

I just came into the forum and found your post so I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge in your same order.
1- In order to reset the OBC, put it in MPG mode and press the small button on the lower corner with a pencil or a pen. This will switch the units until you reach the ones that you need.
2- The engine shut-off code is actually reset every time you use it so you don't need to know the previously used code.
3- I think you already covered this one!
4- Changing pads, rotors and wear sensors can be easily done in approximately 2 hours with the proper tools and preparation. Replacing all of the hoses is a little bit more trickier since you will need flared wrenches and they can get pretty tight! However since you seemed to be planning to do it all it is a great opportunity to do a brake fluid flush.
5- Look in Ebay for owners manuals and go to http://www.mye28.com for a wealth of information on these cars.

Good Luck!