Replacing Run Flats with Standard Tires

Anything that doesn't fit in other forums goes here.
nj325ci

Replacing Run Flats with Standard Tires

Post by nj325ci »

As my e46 gets way up in miles I have to contemplate a new(er) BMW as my daily driver. Since many have run flats I want to understand what I'm potentially getting into. I have a few friends who have gone through the frustration of replacing run flats with 80% tread at $300 plus. My question is what are the pitfalls of replacing runflats with standard tires, other than the obvious need to carry a jack and spare? Can the same rims be used? Will there be any warning light issues?

Thanks, Bill

staianoa

No problems...

Post by staianoa »

Bill,

I have a 2007 335i that came stock with RE050A run flats. I went through 2.5 sets of run flats in about 1.5 years (I drive hard... a lot!). I was very happy with the performance of the tires as the ride is fine (despite constant whining from the automotive press) and the handling characteristics of the RE50A are fantastic... even on the track (NJMP). Don't believe the hype about poor ride or extra weight of RFTs (the non-rft's are only about 1 pound lighter than similar RFTs). What caused me to switch was the cost of replacing the RFTs and the HORRENDOUS roads in NJ that cause three front tires to develop side wall bubbles in just six months (note that I drove in Germany for a full year doing over 25,000 miles with not a single sidewall bubble). The problem is not the RFTs, it's the terrible pot holes on NJ roads. That said, I put on a full set of RE01R's (sadly discontinued) which I loved. I didn't carry a jack or a spare as the cost savings on the one set of tires more than offsets a tow and I still have BMW Assist through 2011 which will tow for free. The only flat I experienced was a slow leaker that occured while driving to the garage to have new tires installed (good luck I guess!). I replaced the RE01R with RE-11's which are very good as well. They are all useless in even a 1/4 inch of snow, but that's why I had an X3. There are no problems associated with switching to non-run flats. The wheels and the TPMS work just fine with non-RFT's. I did purchase a portable pump and some wheel goo (only about $30 on Amazon... no need for the $150 BMW M mobility kit!!) but never have used it and never felt the need for a jack or spare. The RFT's are very good tires, just expensive and prone to failure on NJ roads. Anyway... hope that helps.

Andy

edw1

Post by edw1 »

My father hated the run flats that came on his 335i coupe. He also didn't like the thought of being stranded for days in some town far from run flat mounting equipment so he bought a compact spare as soon as he got the car. When the run flats were done, he mounted conventional tires and has been pleased ever since. My mother noticed the change immediately and commented on the improved ride.
ImageImage

nj325ci

Post by nj325ci »

Thanks very much Andy. Thats right in line with the few experiences that others have shared (as regards cost of replacement). I think you nailed it in stating that the issue is the NJ roads and not the tires.

Your informative response has put my mind at ease! Thanks, Bill

nj325ci

Post by nj325ci »

Thanks Ed. That sounds like the best route to take (short of moving to Florida)

Bill

pm335

Post by pm335 »

Keep in mind that not all runflats behave the same. The Potenzas are brutal in combination with NJ roads (tramlining is the main issue) but the PS2 ZPs are much better on the same crappy roads.

As far as sidewall bubbles go, get good tire insurance and you'll be covered. I've had 4 Potenzas replaced in 4 separate incidents with full reimbursement, about $1500 total I believe for a bit more than $30 a year insurance.

Now, having said all these, I've driven my car in the Autobahn and it's frankly day and night with US roads. When I took redelivery of my car in the US after ED, I drove it for a few miles and returned it to the dealer due to what I though was a severe alignment problem. It turned out to be the NJ roads...

As a previous poster mentioned, the RE11s are excellent tires if you'd like to go the non-RFT route, just carry a small spare and you'll be fine. Or get better RFTs & tire insurance and call it a day. Either way you use the same wheels, same sensors, there's no issue with either type. Good luck.

RealM3E30

Insurance ???

Post by RealM3E30 »

What kind of insurance???? My friend acquired a 07 328XI Touring/Sport CPO car, wanna kinda cover them, they are new ?? R 8)

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

Don't ever buy tire and wheel insurance from a dealer. My folks paid something like $600 to Open Road for it on a 5 series they had years ago and they actually had an issue with the wheels. Open Road NEVER made good on it, gave them the run around and to this day they have not gotten one dime from it. Was basically a scam. Buyer beware of these things.
17 F15 X5 40e
17 F25 X3 28i MSport
11 E92 M3 ZCP
04 E46 325cic
93 E36 325is - JS #172
12 Ford F350 King Ranch dually

Timmah

Post by Timmah »

In order to avoid sidewall bubbles, might I suggest going down in wheel size in up in sidewall?

I bubbled two sidewalls in one year. Then I went from 225/40-18 to 225/45-17. No issues since and the speedo did not need to be re-calibrated.

I know this isn't what is considered fashionable, but it just plain works better.
"The guy in the Blue Volkswagen"

RealM3E30

Warranty

Post by RealM3E30 »

The dealer pitched the $1200 warranty, he said the wheels where $400 a piece, I told him my brief BMW history and told him I would have four really nice wheels and regular tires on the car for the warranty price, he never uttered another word and moved the paper aside. R 8)

pm335

Post by pm335 »

Until last year I used to pay $30/year for insurance from Paragon motorclub, but sadly they stopped insuring BMWs and a few other brands this year.

There are quite a few threads (with useful advice) on the topic on the e90post forums.

taxwoman

Post by taxwoman »

Stania got the runflat tire insurance on her 135 from Princeton BMW, and they made good twice already, when she hit those NJ potholes.
I guess it depends on the dealer. Princeton did ok.
Christina
2013 535I
2014 535XD