Recommendation needed for hand tools

Anything that doesn't fit in other forums goes here.
MTROIS

Post by MTROIS »

BJerolimic wrote:Marc,

FYI I was just at Sears on rt 46 in Parsippany and they are remodeling and tools are 25% off and I thought of your thread so I figured I would let you know
Thanks for the ti and all the recommendations guys!! I actually went to Sears lst night and got a 94-pc tool set.... it was $20 off so in the end I only paid $60. With the exception of a few things, I think I am set for the time being... but I can already see that this is a never ending process.

Thanks again!
2019 M2 Competition (Euro Delivery!)
2008 M3 Coupé
1995 M3 LTW
...all Manual Transmissions!!

JRLNJ

Post by JRLNJ »

Let me be the first to push you to the next level-buy a small compressor, while you're at the Sears' sale. It's amazing to be able to pump up your stuff (tires, -cars, bikes, bicycles, rafts, basketballs..) at home. Then give Harbor freight a look for air powered lug wrench/rachet. I agree that Harbor freight's quality is not up to commercial standards, but for hobbyist work, they seem fine. I've used the air wrench to speed tire changes twice a year on 4 cars, for four years, and it's still working.

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

Like Bob, I have begun to transition away from Craftsman to Snap-On for things like ratchets and torque wrenches. The quality of these items is outstanding. For casual use I think Craftsman is fine. Plus if it fails just bring it back and get a new one. I also recommend you purchase a set of Snap On or similar high quality hex (allen) sockets. Tim mentioned this above too. You WILL round off one of these style fasteners if you try to use a cheap set. Well worth the investment. Also, grab a set of Gear Wrench (or similar) ratcheting wrenches. I got a set recently and I am amazed at how much I use them. As many said also I tend to use 3/8" drive for most things since that's what I have. I have started to build a 1/2" drive selection as recent heavy suspension and subframe work mandated it. You'll be amazed at how fast you begin to fill your tool box. Oh, a nice set of swivel sockets is good to have since clearance can be an issue in some cases.
17 F15 X5 40e
17 F25 X3 28i MSport
11 E92 M3 ZCP
04 E46 325cic
93 E36 325is - JS #172
12 Ford F350 King Ranch dually