Car Restoration Suggestions

Anything that doesn't fit in other forums goes here.
billd0920

Car Restoration Suggestions

Post by billd0920 »

I'm looking for a suggestion on a paint and body shop in the northern portion of NJ. I bought a 73 2002tii this spring and am looking to have it stripped and repainted. I'm looking for someone to to a quality job at a reasonable price. I'm not looking for a museum piece, I'll actually be driving this car on a fairly regular basis.
Anyone have a place that they would recommend?

Bill D

edw1

Post by edw1 »

Matt McGinn in CT does nice work ranging from resto-mod 02s to concours CSLs along with the occasional Alfa and Porsche. I have no idea how his pricing compares to anyone else.

Sports Car Restoration (Matt McGinn- owner)
Southington, CT
860-614-4865
ImageImage

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

Even if you are maintaining the original color, refinishing an '02 can be quite a challenge and expense.

More important than the refinishing in my opinion is the condition of the unibody re rust. Before committing to a refinishing, I would have the car evaluated by someone familar with ALL the places on a 2002 where rust never sleeps. THis person should be different from the one who stands to make money refinishing the car.

I suggest you proceed as follows:

Structural/rust evaluation
Mechanical evaluation

At this point you will be able to decide if the car is worth refinishing.

There are NJ Chapter member resources such as library books and tech sessions which can make you a much better informed consumer.

-Vic