Rule for driver and passenger setup

Come here to discuss anything on the topic of our highly regarded Driver School program.
jont

Rule for driver and passenger setup

Post by jont »

What is the rule or recommendation for driver and passenger setups in a car at Driver Schools? Do they have to have similar or identical setups, in terms of seating and restraint.

My question is, Can the driver and passenger have different seats? If I wanted to buy just one aftermarket sport seat for the driver, is that acceptable, or do I have to have a matching pair? I presume that in terms of restraint, you must have two identical sets of seat belts (3, 4, 5, or 6 point belts).

m20power

Post by m20power »

See our tech form (under D/L). The driver and passenger must have identical seat belt/harness arrangements. The passenger seat must be "equal" to the driver seat. I have seen many student's cars with an aftermarket racing seat on the driver side, and a stock sport seat on the passenger side. If in doubt, post a detailed question and one of our tech workers can offer a response.

HTH,

Bob

jont

Post by jont »

m20power wrote:See our tech form (under D/L). The driver and passenger must have identical seat belt/harness arrangements. The passenger seat must be "equal" to the driver seat.

Bob
Thanks! I was debating the purchase of a Recaro SRD, and I wanted to be sure before I got just a single seat for my e30.

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

If you have an E30 'sport' seat on the pass. side, a Recaro SRD is fine on the driver side. However, the SRD, if I recall correctly, has provision for an anti-sub belt in the seat bottom. The E30 seat does not, so this may complicate your harness installation if you use an anti-sub belt on the SRD. [And by the way, I think you should.]

-Vic