E70 X5 - thoughts?

sgoatley2001e46

E70 X5 - thoughts?

Post by sgoatley2001e46 »

What's your experience with early E70 X5's? Planning to start SUV shopping in the near future. While I'm pretty sure my wife will be interested in something newer, I'm thinking this might be the right time to look for a 2007-2010 non-turbo 6cyl X5. If anyone has any experience with maintenance issues, things to lookout for, etc. I'd be extremely appreciative.

Ideally we'd seek a 6cyl, with not much more than 60K miles (so we can still change the trans fluid), no nav, no comfort access, 3rd row would be beneficial but not required. This would also be our first all wheel drive BMW... Our others have been rear wheel, and we've never ventured away from the 3 series.

Any thoughts on AWD maintenance issues, reliability concerns, or red flags?

BJerolimic
Location: Glen Ridge, NJ . . . . . . '98 318ti - '01 M5 - '08 X5

Re: E70 X5 - thoughts?

Post by BJerolimic »

I just bought an e70 for my wife to have some more room since we just had a third kid (first girl), and like you I preferred a non turbo model for the same reasons. I would recommend you try to find a 2010 as it will still be non turbo but it will have all the mid life cycle updates

I pulled the trigger on an 08 but that was because it was one owner with full documentation and serviced only at the dealer... And because it had less than 30k miles on it and was near perfect/mint so too good to pass up

From my research the e70 is a good and solid sav however they have battery drain issues (than again mine was still on original battery after 8 years and minimal usage so that may be internet myth). I got the go ahead on e70s from my Friend who is head of warranty claims or whatever it's called at Morristown BMW

There have been some diff and front drive shaft issues reported on the forums, then the regular bmw stuff like cooling system etc. check out www.xbimmers.com and www.xoutpost.com

We love the truck and are very happy with it but we only have had it for 3-4 months... Good luck!

and gone but not forgotten:
'00 323Ci Steel Grey / Black Dinan & UUC & Schnitzer mods
'89 325iX Diamond Black / Black 4dr 5spd Dinan chip, Ireland exhaust, H&R+Koni
'01 525iTa

sgoatley2001e46

Very cool, thanks for sharing. First of all, congrats on the 3rd! We just had our 2nd last summer. You may recall our Xterra (I picked up snow tires from you a few years ago). It's surprisingly small when you take trips while carrying all the baby stuff. This is part of the reason why we need to start shopping soon.

I wasn't aware of the issues you mentioned, but they almost make sense. I wonder if the battery drain comes from having the comfort access. I vaguely recall someone writing into Tech Talk, and it has to do with either not removing the key from the car, or keeping it too close, which would prevent the computer from ever really "shutting down" although we observe the car as off. If I am remembering correctly, it's because the car is always staying at the ready for a driver to start up and drive. It may not be unique to X5's, but rather all bmw's that do this.

As for the driveline, I wonder if it comes down to regular maintenance. When I picked up my e90, I briefly considered x-drive (mostly because they were easier to find in the northeast). Since I was buying pre-owned, getting the trans and diff serviced was a huge deal to me. I was told the x-drive cars use a transaxle, making the cost of fluids (and labor) outrageously expensive (more than $1K). So it has to be more on an X5. It makes you think, if there are mostly leased vehicles, plus sold with "lifetime" fluid fills, how many people just didn't get it done. This is why I'd shop in the 60K miles range. I'd go up a bit, but it'd need a substantial maintenance history to come with it. My e90 is CPO, but that gets cost prohibitive on newer X5's, plus I can't get one without a turbo.

Like you suggest, I'd prefer to look at 2010 for the updates, but I wouldn't run from an earlier car. The 2007 would make me a tad nervous as a first year car, but history could make all he difference. Even though the 2010 includes the refresh, it still has a non turbo 6, right?

In the meantime, I'll check out those sites you referenced. Thanks so much!

BJerolimic

Post by BJerolimic »

sgoatley2001e46 wrote:Very cool, thanks for sharing. First of all, congrats on the 3rd! We just had our 2nd last summer. You may recall our Xterra (I picked up snow tires from you a few years ago). It's surprisingly small when you take trips while carrying all the baby stuff. This is part of the reason why we need to start shopping soon.

I wasn't aware of the issues you mentioned, but they almost make sense. I wonder if the battery drain comes from having the comfort access. I vaguely recall someone writing into Tech Talk, and it has to do with either not removing the key from the car, or keeping it too close, which would prevent the computer from ever really "shutting down" although we observe the car as off. If I am remembering correctly, it's because the car is always staying at the ready for a driver to start up and drive. It may not be unique to X5's, but rather all bmw's that do this.

As for the driveline, I wonder if it comes down to regular maintenance. When I picked up my e90, I briefly considered x-drive (mostly because they were easier to find in the northeast). Since I was buying pre-owned, getting the trans and diff serviced was a huge deal to me. I was told the x-drive cars use a transaxle, making the cost of fluids (and labor) outrageously expensive (more than $1K). So it has to be more on an X5. It makes you think, if there are mostly leased vehicles, plus sold with "lifetime" fluid fills, how many people just didn't get it done. This is why I'd shop in the 60K miles range. I'd go up a bit, but it'd need a substantial maintenance history to come with it. My e90 is CPO, but that gets cost prohibitive on newer X5's, plus I can't get one without a turbo.

Like you suggest, I'd prefer to look at 2010 for the updates, but I wouldn't run from an earlier car. The 2007 would make me a tad nervous as a first year car, but history could make all he difference. Even though the 2010 includes the refresh, it still has a non turbo 6, right?

In the meantime, I'll check out those sites you referenced. Thanks so much!

congrats to you too!! boy or girl?

Sure I remember and I know the feeling, our e39 Touring was not going to handle all 3 kids especially since the rear seat bench is more bucketed rather than flat, but the e70 is flat so while it's only a couple inches wider the flat bench seat allows the car seats to be spaced out and fit better.

From what I remember (I did the research almost a year ago as it took me like 4-6 months to find the right one and that didn't happen until October) it may be more e70 specific and not necessarily related to comfort access. But you are correct it has to do with the computer(s) not turning off for something ridiculous like 20 min after car is shut off

and I hear you on the fluid swaps, I'm planning to do the diffs, trans and xfer case on our X5 soon as she just hit 30k (still can't believe we found such an unused peach and the price in the very low 20s... there are good deals/finds out there, just gotta have patience to find the right one :) )

good luck Scott!

ps the e39 Touring went to a good home, my sister! she's having her first kid in early March and while her husband is a VW guy he fell hard for the Touring already! He may also be the newest member of our chapter as I gave him a gift membership to the CCA

'01 525iTa

sgoatley2001e46

Thanks! We had a girl, so now one of each! Our son is 3, our daughter is 5 months. It's amazing to see their interaction at such a young age.

The wide flat rear seat of the X5 is what's really attractive in terms of spacing. In our Xterra, the rear seat is as narrow as the e90, and more cumbersome from an entry and exit perspective too. Take a look at the lower portion of the rear doors next time you see an Xterra and you'll know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, it's served us well, and will likely remain in our hands, but getting something a bit bigger is on our minds.

The prices on the 07-10 is really attractive on low mileage cars. The value (to the buyer) really seems to be there. The less options, the better for us. I missed my chance on a completely stripped 08 a few years ago, and I've been kicking myself since. The things that were important to me (wheels, tint, and roof rack), could all be added. As for mileage, I think 60K and under would be the goal, but I don't think I'd head for the hills if I found a car with 70-75K miles and a complete maintenance history. However, I think I've got a better chance of finding a low mileage car if I can be flexible on colors and options.

As for your e39 touring... what a bummer to see it go, but at least it's still in familiar hands. I like the 5 series wagons, but I'm such a loyalist the the 3 series in terms of size. I've considered trading my car for a wagon, but really don't want to start tracking a maintenance history all over again. My wife doesn't understand my love of wagons, and often laughs when I mention getting one. I guess she doesn't realize that an SUV is nothing more than a tall bulky wagon.

Oh well, thanks for the input. Since you'll have more time behind the wheel, I may reach out again to see how much you still like your car if we get closer to buying one.

Take care!

edw1

Post by edw1 »

Minivan and done

I know at least one person who finally admitted after several years that his X5 was a terrible purchase for child transport. His X3 is even worse.
ImageImage

sgoatley2001e46

It's tempting Ed. I grew up in a minivan household, and now my brother has a Honda for his 3 kids. The versatility is hard to argue. However, my wife is the adamant "I must be in an SUV" type. While she and I don't have the same preferences or reasoning behind what we like, with all of my vehicular purchases in our 10+ years together, who am I to argue with her on her preferences. At the very least, I can be an influence on what the ultimate purchase is.

edw1

Post by edw1 »

sgoatley2001e46 wrote:It's tempting Ed. I grew up in a minivan household, and now my brother has a Honda for his 3 kids. The versatility is hard to argue. However, my wife is the adamant "I must be in an SUV" type. While she and I don't have the same preferences or reasoning behind what we like, with all of my vehicular purchases in our 10+ years together, who am I to argue with her on her preferences. At the very least, I can be an influence on what the ultimate purchase is.
Actually, it was his wife who was the holding out the longest.

Good luck.
ImageImage

afadeev

Post by afadeev »

edw1 wrote:Minivan and done

I know at least one person who finally admitted after several years that his X5 was a terrible purchase for child transport. His X3 is even worse.
I hate to admit it, but my mini-van (Odyssey) is the most useful and versatile car I've ever owned.
Not sexy, but incredibly useful for everything from family road trips, to HomeDepot runs (8x4 sheetrock boards, boilers, and fridges fit inside perfectly)!

I will part with my M3 before I sell the Oddy.

a

BMWE30M3CABRIO

Post by BMWE30M3CABRIO »

afadeev wrote:

I hate to admit it, but my mini-van (Odyssey) is the most useful and versatile car I've ever owned.
Not sexy, but incredibly useful for everything from family road trips, to HomeDepot runs (8x4 sheetrock boards, boilers, and fridges fit inside perfectly)!

I will part with my M3 before I sell the Oddy.

a
+++1....

My wife was also against Minivans as well. We had a Audi B5 S4 Advant as our first "baby" car. It was sooo poorly designed for kids. We had to move up the passenger seat to accommodate the rear facing baby seat. It turned the five seat car effectively into a 3 seat car. I'm not even mentioning the lack of storage. The E46 330i was soo much better.

Well, those two cars really made her appreciate the minivan! We still have our second Odyssey. It's the swiss army knife of cars that allows us to have any other one we want! :D

Good luck with the X5 if you go that route, but.....

edw1

Post by edw1 »

My Odyssey carries a crew of 5, 5 bikes (4 on hitch, 1 on roof), 2 XL dogs, and a week's worth of gear in comfort on 1000 mile trips. You will have to pry it from my cold fingers...
ImageImage

BJerolimic

Post by BJerolimic »

I hear you guys... I tried to get wifey into a minivan first, but she was having none of it and wanted to go back to an SUV like she had before we started having kids. She loved her e39 Touring so it was an easy sell to get her into an e70 X5 once she rejected a minivan

'01 525iTa

SOLDANOCM

Post by SOLDANOCM »

I have to say, I love mine. I picked up a 2015 loaded and did the PCD. As much as I would have loved another car, with the medical issues, the SAV is easier to get in and out of and still have all the things I want. I love the way it drives and handles and for me the room is great. Again all depends on the situation. However, the next one may be an X6.

sgoatley2001e46

BJerolimic wrote:I hear you guys... I tried to get wifey into a minivan first, but she was having none of it and wanted to go back to an SUV like she had before we started having kids. She loved her e39 Touring so it was an easy sell to get her into an e70 X5 once she rejected a minivan
That's so much our story. I wish my wife was open minding about a touring, or even the van, but while we (the enthusiasts) see the wagons differently, she's having none of it either.

As for the X5, she isn't sold yet, and we're not "actively" shopping. Once things get more serious, she'll be willing to do a test drive. After that, I think the car will do the selling for me.

Glad to hear there have been some good X5 experiences out there. As for the van... I'll keep you all posted if she's ever sold on the idea.

If only BMW made an X7 vanDrive3.0d we'd all be in perfect shape....

afadeev

Post by afadeev »

sgoatley2001e46 wrote:
BJerolimic wrote: I wish my wife was open minding about a touring, or even the van, but while we (the enthusiasts) see the wagons differently, she's having none of it either.
Scott, I think you are only telling your side of the story.

Scott's wife side: "Are you guys kidding me? My hubby wants to put me in a mini-van, while he prances around in a shiny new bimmer. Does he really think I'm a washed up soccer mom!?!? At the very least I think I can get an X5 out of him, if not a Cayenne!"

If you are serious, your pitch to your wife would go something like this:
"Honey, would you mind driving my M3 for a while, while I become the primary driver of the mini-van that I think our family really needs?"

If you can't bring yourself to utter the above words, we understand.
But at least stop blaming the mini-van intransigence on your wife :)

a

P.S.: I like to think of myself as an enthusiast, but I am 100% on the side of your wife w.r.t wagons.