Looking for an engine re-builder / machine shop

afadeev

Looking for an engine re-builder / machine shop

Post by afadeev »

Folks,

I would appreciate the leads for competent machine shops that do engine rebuilding in-house (my N14 needs new cylinder sleeves).
I've tried a few shops that advertise with our Club (e.g.: VAC, near Phily), and after a year+ of being jerked around, got absolutely nowhere with them. Kindly don't mention their name to me, even if they sponsor your race car.

If you've had a good first-hand experience with an engine machinist within ~300 mile radius of NNJ, please do share.

TIA,
a

mcahn

Re: Looking for an engine re-builder / machine shop

Post by mcahn »

It might be worth calling Don Fields @ Mr. M Car -- http://mrmcar.com . When my son's M Coupe's S54 engine had a spun rod bearing, Don sent the crankshaft out to someone for evaluation. So I imagine that even if he doesn't do rebuilds, that he would send the engine to someone, or refer you to someone.

Matthew

macilona

Post by macilona »

Highly recommend Michael Yaskin, Bavarian Specialties in King of Prussia, PA. Best BMW shop in the region.

afadeev

Post by afadeev »

mcahn wrote:It might be worth calling Don Fields @ Mr. M Car -- http://mrmcar.com . When my son's M Coupe's S54 engine had a spun rod bearing, Don sent the crankshaft out to someone for evaluation. So I imagine that even if he doesn't do rebuilds, that he would send the engine to someone, or refer you to someone.
Thanks, Matthew, Mr M-car only works on "BMW products", and Mini engines do not qualify.
macilona wrote:Highly recommend Michael Yaskin, Bavarian Specialties in King of Prussia, PA. Best BMW shop in the region.
Thanks, I just got off the call with Mike, and long story short, he recommended looking for used engines first, if I can find one.
Might drive mine over to Mike to look at anyway.

alex

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

Yaskin is great at Bavarian Specialties. Solid choice.

Also highly recommend Tyler Pappas at Tyspeed in Jackson, NJ. He does great engine work and does work on MINI.

www.tyspeed.com

Good luck!
17 F15 X5 40e
17 F25 X3 28i MSport
11 E92 M3 ZCP
04 E46 325cic
93 E36 325is - JS #172
12 Ford F350 King Ranch dually

Kevin57

Post by Kevin57 »

I had a 351 rebuilt years ago by Kevin Gamble motor parts. It looks like he is still operating on Lincoln Blvd in Middlesex. He did all the machining, and a buddy used him to build racing engines.