e9X spark plug torque values?

sgoatley2001e46

e9X spark plug torque values?

Post by sgoatley2001e46 »

I don't have an e9X Bentley Manual (yet), and need to verify the torque specs for the spark plugs. Car is a 2009 328i with the N51 SULEV motor. I've read online on other forums it's 23 Nm or 18 ft lb. Can anyone verify this for accuracy?

Thanks,
Scott

kbsilver

Re: e9X spark plug torque values?

Post by kbsilver »

I have the Bentley and it states 18 +/-2 ft-lb for the spark plugs. Glad this was of some help because for the engine, the manual is totally useless on my Diesel :roll:.
-Keith

'11 335D & '17 340GT

sgoatley2001e46

Post by sgoatley2001e46 »

Thanks Keith! Much appreciated! If you ever want to let go of your Bentley manual, shoot me a message and a price. My car is finally getting up there in mileage, and I'm starting to address it's needs on a semi-regular basis.

Although humorously, I've had some big ticket items addressed under warranty. Never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad it's an SULEV car. 91K miles, and apparently coils, valve cover gasket, eccentric gasket, and valvetronic gasket are all still under warranty. It all started with a misfire, and going to swap a coil myself. Then I saw the leak, and started researching the job. Purely by accident, I found online, that people had this covered under warranty. I asked my local dealer, and sure enough it was. As much fun as I'd have probably had doing the work myself, it was a no brainer to have them cover it. Apparently it's 15 years/150,000 miles for certain parts on SULEV cars. Here's to hoping the oil separator goes within that coverage period, HA!

How's your 335d holding up? I really dig those cars.

Thanks again,
Scott

kbsilver

Post by kbsilver »

The 335D is holding up quite well. If we could get rid of the emissions systems BMW was using this model as a test bed for, it would be pretty much bullet proof. So far everything has been covered by the extended warranty, up in about a month when we hit 100K miles.

Emissions wise it needed an intake and valve carbon cleaning (what do you expect when your EGR is putting soot into the intake) and replaced the DEF tank (very expensive) because a temperature sensor went bad. The only non emissions issues was replacing an antenna amplifier and it blew a rack end seal which required replacing the entire rack as the seal is not an available part. It still has the original brakes! I think because the diesel holds back better than gasoline engines I end up using the brakes less.
-Keith

'11 335D & '17 340GT