New to BMW

Myro

New to BMW

Post by Myro »

Good morning i bought a 1998 740IL in Feb with the intention of flipping it. It has the 4.4 v8 and the automatic transmission. when i got it, it had no power believed to be caused by the PCV valve on the back of the intake, that was wrong. lack of power was coming from plugs that looked like they had never been changed, and 2 clogged cats. So now i have Replaced the PVC the valve cover gaskets(where leaking bad) the intake gasket the coils the spark plugs the cat (with universals for now), engine cleaner fresh oil change and filter.

Took it for a test drive o man is She comfortable and drives so nice ......when i shift it in manual 2-D

The transmission when in Adaptive/automatic holds 1st or 2nd... i believe 2nd because it does not over rev at 40 mph and will not shift up even if i select 4th 3rd or 2nd.
If i put the Transmission into Manual ("M") it will start in and hold 4th gear. Though if i select 2nd or 3rd it will down shift to that gear.

i have had a scanner that reads BMW on the car and it was able to access the trans and see that it had no code the Engine was un-accessible.

only light i have on is the traction light and also it tells me my washer fluid is low and one other message that i can not read as there are to many pixels dead (taking care of that after the car runs correctly)

Other problems :

Battery drain
center tie rod
Brake Booster Vacuum Valve - Intake Manifold to Brake Booster Hose
door lock button
getting the cigarette ashes and smell out

MrMCoupe

Re: New to BMW

Post by MrMCoupe »

Welcome! This car uses a lot of battery sitting still so you have to drive it or put on a trickle charger. Check the seat wiring if you still have a heavy drain after the car goes to sleep. There are rebuilds available for the pixels and for the ABS unit (which may be why your traction light is on).

Enjoy!

Mark

Myro

Post by Myro »

MrMCoupe wrote:Welcome! This car uses a lot of battery sitting still so you have to drive it or put on a trickle charger. Check the seat wiring if you still have a heavy drain after the car goes to sleep. There are rebuilds available for the pixels and for the ABS unit (which may be why your traction light is on).

Enjoy!

Mark
Thanks mark i have someone lined up for the pixel repair already my main focse right now is the shifting as theres no point in fixing anything else if i cant drive it

MrMCoupe

Post by MrMCoupe »

What mode is the trans in, or all modes, when you have this problem? Regular drive or sport? Hopefully you just need to clean the connections on the shifter.

Myro

Post by Myro »

When in adaptive or Automotive it gets stuck in second won't shift up or down but when in manual I can shift atsecond third fourth drive and go through them but if I leave it manual and drive it'll start in stay in 4th

Myro

Post by Myro »

this 1st video is adaptive from a stop

https://youtu.be/WZvZNejsd8E

this is M with me shifting from a roll start
https://youtu.be/MiT7y87vhCY

last video is "M" and "D"
https://www.youtube.com/embed/RF_mMMtqjc8e

kbsilver

Post by kbsilver »

You probably need to get the codes read by a real BMW computer (GT1?). As we know the transmission is electronically controlled thus the computer knows why it's doing what it is. I had a 'similar' issue a while back on a 5 series with the V8, although was intermittent in nature. Turned out to be a defective transmission temperature sensor that is buried in the wiring harness inside the transmission. The computer thought the trans was extremely overheated and was trying to protect it. This is a known and common defect/failure to this 5 speed ZF used in many cars including Jaguar, Range Rover and a few others besides BMW.

In my case the internal trans wiring harness was replaced which fixed the problem.

Good Luck.
-Keith

'11 335D & '17 340GT

Myro

Post by Myro »

over the weekend i replace the Idle Control Valve (little to no change) read the computer threw the 20 pin with Carly for BMW(pro version) cleared all 21 faults only 3 remain though the codes are not translating (motor code is 00008b) overall kinda dis satisfied with the App/software. but on a plus note the care will now shift up to forth (1>2>3>4) at 5.5k each shift thought it down shifts when it hits 3k so think its time to bite the bullet and hit the dealership for some testing.... though i almost want to try a fluid filter change 1st

new front control arm kit going in this weekend

Myro

Post by Myro »

anyone have any incite on the error code 237 automatic start module?

pietern740il

Post by pietern740il »

Welcome sorry to hear about the problems.

Before going to the dealer, have you check the fluid in the trans? Most times we are told not to change the fluid, but these fluid do need changing. I've had a 740 for a few years, I started changing the trans fluid every two years after it reach 100K.

Since the car is not going into limp mode is good, try replacing trans filter and fluid. As for the fluid try using the Val. Max Life it works in your transmission and its much cheaper.

just suggestions

Myro

Post by Myro »

pietern740il wrote:Welcome sorry to hear about the problems.

Before going to the dealer, have you check the fluid in the trans? Most times we are told not to change the fluid, but these fluid do need changing. I've had a 740 for a few years, I started changing the trans fluid every two years after it reach 100K.

Since the car is not going into limp mode is good, try replacing trans filter and fluid. As for the fluid try using the Val. Max Life it works in your transmission and its much cheaper.

just suggestions
Thanks for the suggestion fluid change is in the plans I'll probably use the maxlife the first go-round and then use Amsoil after that.

I got the Foxwell scanner in the other day when scan it ...batterys Stone dead

pietern740il

Post by pietern740il »

Low Battery, hmm.

The question why, please test your alternator to make sure it's doing what it should. I had AAA replace the battery on my two month ago, I think it has a 3yrs warranty, and they come to your location to replace it.

Myro

Post by Myro »

pietern740il wrote:Low Battery, hmm.

The question why, please test your alternator to make sure it's doing what it should. I had AAA replace the battery on my two month ago, I think it has a 3yrs warranty, and they come to your location to replace it.
I have a drain from something if i drive it daily batterys not a problem ... leaning towards the nav but haven't put time to it yet

pietern740il

Post by pietern740il »

Try disconnecting the AUX fan, to test the Nav computer, leave the trunk open. Allow the car to sit for 16 minutes. After 16 minutes it goes to sleep, if the light on the Nav computer is still running (blinking) then Nav could be the problem.

You can also do a drain test with the Aux connected, and with it disconnected.

Myro

Post by Myro »

water pump and thermo went in today also checked the nav... un-forchantly it shuts off.