Looking for Shop - Help with 540

pietern740il

Looking for Shop - Help with 540

Post by pietern740il »

My car currently car idles at 500, when driving and coming to a stop, I would get a little bump. The car does not stall, and bump is not felt every time. I notice the Solendoid valve on the passenger side head is sweating, but the driver side is dry. Also, when engine engine is driven for 30 plus minutes can hear a loud ticking sound from pass. side of the engine. I've clean Throttle body, and replaced plugs, while doing plugs noticed valve cover is leaking on plugs 3,4 on passenger side.

Any ideas what could be the cause, or a shop to use?

mcahn

Re: Looking for Shop - Help with 540

Post by mcahn »

I'd give Mr. M Car a call: mrmcar.com

-- Matthew

pietern740il

Post by pietern740il »

Thank you,

I will look for his name and send an IM

Would you know where Mr. M shop is located

mcahn

Post by mcahn »

Don Fields is the main guy at Mr. M Car. I doubt he'll see an IM on this forum if that's what you mean. Take a look at his web site http://www.mrmcar.com/ which has his location and contact information. I'd give him a phone call.

Best,
Matthew

pietern740il

Post by pietern740il »

Okay thank you.

pietern740il

Post by pietern740il »

Just spoke with the shop, they are booked solid for the next two weeks. I'm going to give EuroSport in Westfield a call.

kbsilver

Post by kbsilver »

Having owned a 540(iT) for over 10 years I am quite familiar with the M62 engine (you did not say what year but with the 2 solenoid valves it's probably a 2000 or newer). I had an issue of an unstable idle on coast down (would actually stall a few times) which was solved with a new MAF (which is upstream of the throttle body). You can take it out, remove the actual sensor (need torx security wrenches) and clean it for a temporary fix, but it will not last long.

The ticking sound is most likely from play in the vanos systems. Almost ALL of the M62TU engines will do this when they get some miles on them. It's annoying, but does not impact performance or longevity of the engine. Mine had the sound for 100K miles, and was still doing it when I sold the car at 160K miles and it was running fine. You can rebuild/replace the vanos, a very expensive proposition only to have the sound return in 60K miles anyway.

The idle speed is demand driven. If there are no special needs, it will idle at 500. If the engine is cold, the battery charge is low, you need A/C, etc., the idle speed will be raised.

Valve cover gasket replacement is essentially routine maintenance on these.

Good Luck.
-Keith

'11 335D & '17 340GT

pietern740il

Post by pietern740il »

Keith thanks for the information.

I'm not sure how to upload video, but Sunday I installed new water pump and thermostat, and I too apart the MAF from throttle body hose just to clean out he MAF. After all the work was done, and I tried to mate the MAF with hose, I had a hell of a time getting the together.
After some research, found out MAF was not a BMW part, but it was forced into the hose. Later Sunday evening I found some selling a used MAF, when and purchased it. Installed it on Sunday night and the car started and drove fine.

Yesterday morning, started the car, and it started to idle unstable, surging back and forth between 1200 and 800 RPM. So I believe you are right, sounds like the MAF I purchased could be bad.

So the car production date 12/98, with 176K on clock.

Edit:
So after i sent the above message last night. I when and looked at the throttle body, and I found a piece of wire mesh inside the intake manifold. See attach images
Attachments
20170419_230943.jpg
20170419_230943.jpg (79.83 KiB) Viewed 9485 times
Item found inside intake manifold
Item found inside intake manifold
20170419_230935.jpg (24.09 KiB) Viewed 9485 times

jimoreno

Post by jimoreno »

That's a piece of the flow straightening honeycomb of the MAF! You'll need to ensure that there are no more pieces in the manifold and obviously replace the MAF.
Good luck!

pietern740il

Post by pietern740il »

Thanks for the information, I did replace the MAF. EuroSport had the car for a few days and they did not find any additional parts in the Intake Manifold. That was the only good news.