F80 / F82 / F30 trunk opens by itself EDIT: now windows too

edw1

F80 / F82 / F30 trunk opens by itself EDIT: now windows too

Post by edw1 »

Has anyone had a successful repair for this issue?

My father's new F80 is having trunk issues. Since day one, he would find the trunk open about once a month (5 times in 4 months). It usually occurs while locked inside the garage but it has happened at least once while out. Two trips to the dealer service department fixed nothing and now the trunk opens more frequently. One trip got him a "new relay or module". He is looking for the service record to give me the exact part. The car was "reprogrammed" at another service visit. A loaner F30 popped its own trunk the first night he had it during one of those service visits. One of those trips resulted in the trunk opening itself with greater frequency, now weekly or more often.

I don't know if this is related but it is worth mentioning. The alarm decided to go off at 3am while locked in the garage. This occurred only once since he took delivery.

During both trips to the service department, the service advisor claimed that he was unaware of any self opening trunk issues and suggested my father was unknowingly pressing the trunk button. Of course, the internet is full of unresolved self opening F30/F80 trunks and lots of similar finger pointing.

We just came up with a procedure to eliminate the human factor.
1. Lock the car and check the trunk
2. Place both keys in a metal box in his closet at the other end of the house so there is no chance of inadvertent button pushing
3. Check the door locks and trunk before bed with the keys still safe in their metal box
4. Check door locks and trunk in the morning
5. Write down door lock and trunk condition every morning in a notebook
I am also evaluating video methods to capture the self opening trunk in action.

With the above documentation, we hope the problem will attract the proper level of attention during the car's third repair attempt for the same problem.

For the record, he has not had this issue with any other car with a trunk release button on the key including his E39, E90, and a Mazda.

EDIT: I usually get the right of first refusal when he buys a new car. It would be nice if the harnesses were not a corroded pile of green copper and the trunk was not moldy if I get to buy this M3 in a few years
Last edited by edw1 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Razzy23

Re: F80 / F82 / F30 trunk opens by itself

Post by Razzy23 »

Just a question. Does he leave the Key fob in the vehicle when stored inside the garage? and Do you have any pets walking around the car inside the garage at night for example?
This happens to me when i clean the exhaust tips and my key fob is in my pocket. Its all part of comfort access and sensors. below the rear bumper.
Tom

EDIT, nevermind. you place the keys far away from the vehicle. :roll:

edw1

Post by edw1 »

The pets in the house do not have garage access. The garage doors are closed every night.

If I were doing the troubleshooting, the monkey motion trunk access would be my first target. Can I unplug something to disable it? Can it be turned off via coding? My father said he doesn't need it because the other car goes on grocery store runs.
ImageImage

RAYADAM

Post by RAYADAM »

Ed, Find out exactly what they replaced (part number is a bonus) . We replaced a REM(Rear electronics module) and performed programming to latest levels for the exact same issue. Customer has not returned with issue yet . Also ,when you mentioned the loaner did the same thing, was it in the garage like the F80? We had a weird scenario last year where the customers F10 was in garage with dead battery(from systems never going to sleep mode) every morning , battery wouldn't die when vehicle parked outside. turned out there was a Verizon electrical panel causing interference inside the garage. Has he parked car outside to see if this still happens? of course keeping an eye on the weather.
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

afadeev

Post by afadeev »

edw1 wrote:If I were doing the troubleshooting, the monkey motion trunk access would be my first target. Can I unplug something to disable it? Can it be turned off via coding? My father said he doesn't need it because the other car goes on grocery store runs.
Rear trunk motion sensor (aka foot kick sensor) can be covered with tape, for starters.

Either comfort access or trunk sensor can be disabled via coding (FEM_BODY Module).

a

edw1

Post by edw1 »

RAYADAM wrote:Ed, Find out exactly what they replaced (part number is a bonus) . We replaced a REM(Rear electronics module) and performed programming to latest levels for the exact same issue. Customer has not returned with issue yet .
I will try to find out what was replaced.

Also ,when you mentioned the loaner did the same thing, was it in the garage like the F80? We had a weird scenario last year where the customers F10 was in garage with dead battery(from systems never going to sleep mode) every morning , battery wouldn't die when vehicle parked outside. turned out there was a Verizon electrical panel causing interference inside the garage. Has he parked car outside to see if this still happens? of course keeping an eye on the weather.
I had the same concern since I know there is a golf cart charger in the garage. If he can duplicate the failure following the strict key control protocol, I'll have him unplug the charger at night (adding an item to his checklist) to see if the problem goes away.
ImageImage

edw1

Post by edw1 »

afadeev wrote:Rear trunk motion sensor (aka foot kick sensor) can be covered with tape, for starters.
That is the perfect isolation/troubleshooting solution for me.
Either comfort access or trunk sensor can be disabled via coding (FEM_BODY Module).
Great! If the trunk access is the problem, I'll tell him to have the dealer kill that function
ImageImage

afadeev

Post by afadeev »

Great! If the trunk access is the problem, I'll tell him to have the dealer kill that function
I'm not sure dealer will know how to do that
;-)

You might need to buy an ODBII cable and code it yourself :mrgreen:

edw1

Post by edw1 »

EMI from the golf cart charger is not the cause. The trunk popped in an open parking lot.

From two trips to the service department:

Trip 1
3/xx/14
interrogated fault memory, found various communication faults and bus faults
performed related test plans and inspected wiring diagrams
checked various signal status and request status in the FEM/REM/ROOF functions and other related control units
BMW M3 2016
VIN: ????????????????

Open date: 3/xx/16
trunk opens at night intermittently when car is locked in garage.

caused by
INTERROGATED FAULT MEMORY
FOUND VARIOUS COMMUNICATIONS FAULTS AND BUS FAULTS
PERFORMED RELATED TEST PLANS AND INSPECTED WIRING DIAGRAMS
CHECKED VARIOUS SIGNAL STATUS AND REQUEST STATUS IN TH EFEM/REM/ROOF FUNCTIONS
AND OTHER RELATED CONTROL UNITS

Work performed by XXXXX XXXXX (xxx)

Installed 61 35 6 809 049 B1 Control unit - rear e QTY 1

replaced the REM, performed all follow-up calibrations and procedures after programming.
cleared fault memory and test drove the vehicle to put it in through a drive cycle and allow it to enter sleep mode normally and retest
the issue was no longer present.

Trip 2
Open date 3/xx/16

51 44 501 23 FRU + 51 21 610 25 FRU
51 22 610 12 FRU + 61 12 601 9 FRU +
61 12 611 8 FRU + 61 31 544 2 FRU

replaced tailgate button
adjusted latch and striker for proper engagement
cleared fault memory and monitored sensor inputs at the FEM and REM again
found the request status for the rear trunk button didn’t change anymore
verified proper operation and repair
ImageImage

edw1

Post by edw1 »

I just spent a week with the car. The trunk continues to open itself so my father keeps the trunk switch in the glove box turned off whenever he is not parked in his garage. This is a major PITA when you need to load/unload items.

The car now has a bigger problem. My father walked out to his car from whatever store he was in and found all 4 windows rolled down. I'm pretty sure the "windows down from the remote or key" feature can be turned off but this is starting to approach the ridiculous.

I told him to take the car in EVERY time the window or trunk thing happens happens and to make sure the service ticket accurately describes the problem. At what point can his local dealer start looking up the food chain for more assistance? It is now only a matter of time until the car fills with rain.
ImageImage

colin

Re: F80 / F82 / F30 trunk opens by itself EDIT: now windows

Post by colin »

This isn't really a helpful comment, but just wanted to say that if this was happening to me, I'd put a trailcam or Canary near the car in the garage just so I knew when it was happening.

RonG

Post by RonG »

edw1 wrote:I told him to take the car in EVERY time the window or trunk thing happens and to make sure the service ticket accurately describes the problem. At what point can his local dealer start looking up the food chain for more assistance?
If it's still happening, take it in right away. AFAIK, as soon as a dealer can show that a problem persists despite doing all the right things to fix it, they can and should kick it upstairs--even on the very first visit. That's happened with my cars at least once.

Read this carefully: http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/News/B ... ochure.pdf

Your father has already met the requirements to contact BMW NA himself, if he chooses. Were I in his shoes, I would inform the dealer immediately that the problem persists, bring it in ASAP and inform the service adviser of my intent to contact BMW to start the process, if the car still misbehaves afterward. I'd also be sure to mention that I was unhappy with the car, not their efforts to repair it--because I don't know whether the dealer gets a black mark if BMW NA calls them, instead of the other way around.

Don't resort to aftermarket coding to address this problem. You may lose your protection under the law if anyone other than BMW monkeys with the car at this stage.
2011 Azurite Black/Oyster Individual 335xi
2003 Black Sapphire/Natural Brown 330Ci
2022 San Remo Green/Oyster 430i

MrMCoupe

Post by MrMCoupe »

Have you replaced the key fob?

edw1

Post by edw1 »

There will be no aftermarket coding done to this vehicle. BMW NA and their dealer network are the only ones who will touch it as long as it is under warranty.

The keys are original.
ImageImage

MrMCoupe

Post by MrMCoupe »

I would ask for replacement keys. The fob may be sending out a signal without a button being pressed. I had this issue with an aftermarket alarm.