Driving without front license plate

This is the place to post any topics related to the NJBMWCCA Community that don't fall into the other categories.
davidmcintyre

Driving without front license plate

Post by davidmcintyre »

What's your experience driving a newer BMW without a front license plate? How often do you get pulled over?

-Dave

MrMCoupe

Re: Driving without front license plate

Post by MrMCoupe »

Dave,

About once every 5000 miles. It was a great reminder my registration was overdue once.
Why NJ didn't keep inspections and registration on the same schedule.... Oh wait; they make more money this way......

Mark

davidmcintyre

Post by davidmcintyre »

Do you get a ticket each time, or only some percent of the time?

What does the ticket cost?

Thanks, Dave

MrMCoupe

Post by MrMCoupe »

I only got a ticket the one time my registration was expired. Due in February and the car doesn't come out until the salt is off the road. If I remember correctly it was about a hundred dollar mistake.

All of the other times the officer just wanted to see the plate was in the car. I keep it next to the seat!

Your mileage may vary; remember you are giving them an easy ticket. I hope my collector car sticker eliminates the pullover issue.

Mark

edw1

Post by edw1 »

Dave, your home town taxed me for "unclear plates" many years go because they did not like the placement of my registration sticker on the front plate of my E30. I'm sure they will love to collect more revenue for missing front plates.
ImageImage

davidmcintyre

Post by davidmcintyre »

My home town doesn't usually ticket townfolk; we save that for interlopers.

Watchung is rough these days, though. They sit at busy intersections with license plate readers and just pull people over...

colin

Post by colin »

Once in two years, and only then because I was driving through Ed's town and my rear license plate light was out. No ticket. Cop was very cool.

DrewZ

Post by DrewZ »

davidmcintyre wrote:Do you get a ticket each time, or only some percent of the time?

What does the ticket cost?

Thanks, Dave
First offense is a max fine of $100. Here is the full text of the statute. Make sure your plates are affixed "in such a way as not to swing . . ."

NJSA 39:3-33. Markers; requirements concerning; display of fictitious or wrong numbers, etc.; punishment.

The owner of an automobile which is driven on the public highways of this State shall display not less than 12 inches nor more than 48 inches from the ground in a horizontal position, and in such a way as not to swing, an identification mark or marks to be furnished by the division; provided, that if two marks are issued they shall be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle; and provided, further, that if only one mark is issued it shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle; and provided, further, that the rear identification mark may be displayed more than 48 inches from the ground on tank trucks, trailers and other commercial vehicles carrying inflammable liquids and on sanitation vehicles which are used to collect, transport and dispose of garbage, solid wastes and refuse. Motorcycles shall also display an identification mark or marks; provided, that if two marks are issued they shall be displayed on the front and rear of the motorcycle; and provided, further, that if only one mark is issued it shall be displayed on the rear of the motorcycle.

The identification mark or marks shall contain the number of the registration certificate of the vehicle and shall be of such design and material as prescribed pursuant to section 2 of P.L.1989, c.202 (C.39:3-33.9). All identification marks shall be kept clear and distinct and free from grease, dust or other blurring matter, so as to be plainly visible at all times of the day and night.

No person shall drive a motor vehicle which has a license plate frame or identification marker holder that conceals or otherwise obscures any part of any marking imprinted upon the vehicle's registration plate or any part of any insert which the director, as hereinafter provided, issues to be inserted in and attached to that registration plate or marker.

The director is authorized and empowered to issue registration plate inserts, to be inserted in and attached to the registration plates or markers described herein. They may be issued in the place of new registration plates or markers; and inscribed thereon, in numerals, shall be the year in which registration of the vehicle has been granted.

No person shall drive a motor vehicle the owner of which has not complied with the provisions of this subtitle concerning the proper registration and identification thereof, nor drive a motor vehicle which displays a fictitious number, or a number other than that designated for the motor vehicle in its registration certificate. During the period of time between the application for motor vehicle registration and the receipt of registration plates from the division, no person shall affix a plate or marker for the purpose of advertisement in the position on a motor vehicle normally reserved for the display of the registration plates required by this section if the plate or marker is designed with a combination of letters, numbers, colors, or words to resemble the registration plates required by this section.

A person convicted of displaying a fictitious number, as prohibited herein, shall be subject to a fine not exceeding $500.00 or imprisonment in the county jail for not more than 60 days.

A person violating any other provision of this section shall be subject to a fine not exceeding $100.00. In default of the payment thereof, there shall be imposed an imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding 10 days. A person convicted of a second offense of the same violation may be fined in double the amount herein prescribed for the first offense and may, in default of the payment thereof, be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding 20 days. These penalties shall not apply to the display of a fictitious number.
DrewZ

RonG

Post by RonG »

Be sure your license plate frame (if you use one) does not obscure the words "New Jersey" or "Garden State" on the plate, even partially, especially if you run without a front plate. That's also grounds for an "unclear plates" citation. (New Providence was kind enough to enlighten me on that score, some years ago.)
2011 Azurite Black/Oyster Individual 335xi
2003 Black Sapphire/Natural Brown 330Ci
2022 San Remo Green/Oyster 430i

RealM3E30

Post by RealM3E30 »

I keep my plate between the seat and tunnel, when I see a tax collector and I put it on the top left side dash. 8)
91 E30 M//3 GQ
88 E30 M//3 TR
07 E91 328XIT
12 E70 X5D
16 F31 MSport Wagon
71 2002 Vintage Race Car

BJerolimic
Location: Glen Ridge, NJ . . . . . . '98 318ti - '01 M5 - '08 X5

Post by BJerolimic »

Maybe a motorized flip out license plate holder is more your speed? check them out, here is one type:

http://www.hidetheplate.com/index.php?cPath=4

video in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANRZ728IS64

and gone but not forgotten:
'00 323Ci Steel Grey / Black Dinan & UUC & Schnitzer mods
'89 325iX Diamond Black / Black 4dr 5spd Dinan chip, Ireland exhaust, H&R+Koni
'01 525iTa