3 days in an M6 convertible- where do I go to drive it?

This is the place to post any topics related to the NJBMWCCA Community that don't fall into the other categories.
teezee

3 days in an M6 convertible- where do I go to drive it?

Post by teezee »

I have the use of an M6 convertible through a BMW NA marketing program. They deliver the car to my door Thursday, and come back to pick it up Monday afternoon. So now the question is- where do I go to drive it? Starting location is Bergen county. No track usage is allowed. I get to pick the weekend. We will stay over wherever we are Friday and Saturday night, so a three day trip

I am looking to find some places to enjoy the car (hopefully top down), but am not looking to do a ton of interstate driving (unless it gets us somewhere really good when we get there).

So far, I am thinking Vermont and on to White Mountains area of New Hampshire, or western Maryland / West Virginia, an area I admittedly don’t know much about, but hear has some great driving roads.

Any suggestions?
2011 Z430i Crimson Red over Ivory
2003 325iT Oxford Green over Sand

NeilE30

Post by NeilE30 »

Tail of the Dragon-its on the Tennessee /North Carolina border.

Neil

daytripper

Post by daytripper »

I use BMW's Ultimate Drive App to find nice road/routes to take when I'm on a trip. It works good. I use an iphone, not sure if its available on other types.

teezee

Post by teezee »

I'm thinking Tail of the Dragon is too far- we'd spend all day Friday on the highway, drive around on Saturday and spend all day Sunday on the highway driving back. Saving this for my next Performance Center redelivery.
2011 Z430i Crimson Red over Ivory
2003 325iT Oxford Green over Sand

NeilE30

Post by NeilE30 »

It was worth a shot. I do recall David Hauter writing in the Roundel about a road trip across northern Pennsylvania a while back that looked interesting.

Neil

mcahn

Post by mcahn »

This old forum posting mentions some nice drives (none of which I have done myself):

http://njbmwcca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4364

Matthew

afadeev

Post by afadeev »

NeilE30 wrote:It was worth a shot. I do recall David Hauter writing in the Roundel about a road trip across northern Pennsylvania a while back that looked interesting.

Neil
FWIW, I tried to retrace much of that rout on the way to Niagara Falls last summer. Some of the roads and views were distinctly more interesting then most, and you are basically driving through PA boonies with everything that entails, deliverance style. I will not repeat.

Lots of small towns and small town cops. We got pulled over twice while NOT speeding. No tickets, just hassled each time for 10+ minutes of Q&A, likely because the bimmer stood out like as sore thumb in the pick-up truck country.

White Mountains, on the other hand, might be worth a drive:
http://www.visitwhitemountains.com/thin ... byway.aspx
http://www.weather.com/travel/driving-s ... s-20120412

If you are really adventurous (in a convertible!), you could try to drive "The Road to the Sky" - up Mt. Washgton - the highest and the windiest place in the US. I don't know if the road has been completely cleared of snow yet, but it's worth a try:
http://mtwashingtonautoroad.com/

It will be a 5 hour drive just to get there, but at least the locals are friendly.

YMMV,
a

DougDish

Post by DougDish »

Leaving Bergen County you can hop on the 287 Loop heading south that brings you through NJ and the five boroughs of NYC. You will see spectacular infrastructure including multiple bridges and buildings as well as mountains here in NJ followed by a night in Manhattan. Then head out to the north fork of LI and enjoy the ocean air in your convertible while you take advantage of the dozens of wineries and stay over in a B&B.

I have driven through NYC in a convertible, you will not be disappointed, there are sights, smells, sounds and vibrations that awaken 4 of your 5 senses. Of course the beach is always a good choice in summer.

Enjoy!

Doug
2017 Silverado 1500
2017 GTC4Lusso
2011 458 Italia
2008 E82

jont

Post by jont »

DougDish wrote: I have driven through NYC in a convertible, you will not be disappointed, there are sights, smells, sounds and vibrations that awaken 4 of your 5 senses.
I agree. Driving through NYC on a cool Spring or Summer night, especially around Times Square, is something else.
-Jon Trudel, #163357