Great picture from Shade Tree Garage

This is the place to talk about issues related to our club meetings.
dbcafy

Great picture from Shade Tree Garage

Post by dbcafy »

Hey Paul,

Just got the January 2014 bulletin, great picture of the red 1977/1978 VW Scirocco. That was me first car. I did my first unplanned "540" on a rainy day near the Bruckner Expressway in that car. Drove home shaken, but without a scratch. Brings back memories :-)

NO ABS, NO Traction Control, No power windows!

Dave
2011 M3 sedan, ZCP, DCT, Dinan Exhaust, aFe Intake
2003 540i, M-Sports Pkg (retired)

afadeev

Re: Great picture from Shade Tree Garage

Post by afadeev »

dbcafy wrote:Hey Paul,

Just got the January 2014 bulletin, great picture of the red 1977/1978 VW Scirocco. That was me first car. I did my first unplanned "540" on a rainy day near the Bruckner Expressway in that car. Drove home shaken, but without a scratch. Brings back memories :-)

NO ABS, NO Traction Control, No power windows!

Dave
That was my first car as well - '78 college rust-bucket Scirocco!

I spent more time in it pointed sideways in the winter (on mismatched tires) than driving straight. Remarkably, I never hit anything harder than a snow bank.

I don't remember if it had no ABS, or if it didn't work by the time I got the car. AC quit working on my watch. Breaks were not far behind on the "fail soon list" when I got my E30.

a

pauln

Post by pauln »

Dave, I took that picture just for you!

Paul

currencydog

1981 vw scirocco

Post by currencydog »

Gee did we all have one? Not my first car (72 super beetle) but my second. A red 1981 with gold basket weave bbs wheels tint alpine stereo manual trans. I loved that car until a dumb kid hit me in a snowy lot in Sayreville. Not fast just fun! Why do new cars not feel as fun or awesome? Could it be the possibility that without abs and traction control and the rest of the nannies we realized we could kill ourselves and did crazy things anyway?