AutoCross Newbie

Have something to say about autocross? This is the place.
gpoles

AutoCross Newbie

Post by gpoles »

Im athinking of joining the club and attending the March Autox event. I have a 2001 330i sport (with Mwheels) and am a little nervous. What should I expect at the event etc? Should I come to one first as a spectator in order to avoid embarrassment.

My biggest concern is the procedures and requirements. I know I need a helmet etc. Is it ok if my car is bone stock. Im not expecting to win just have a good time.

Do I need to sign up for the event in advance :?:

Any thoughts would be appreciated

BJerolimic
Location: Glen Ridge, NJ . . . . . . '98 318ti - '01 M5 - '08 X5

Re: AutoCross Newbie

Post by BJerolimic »

gpoles wrote:Im athinking of joining the club and attending the March Autox event. I have a 2001 330i sport (with Mwheels) and am a little nervous. What should I expect at the event etc? Should I come to one first as a spectator in order to avoid embarrassment.

My biggest concern is the procedures and requirements. I know I need a helmet etc. Is it ok if my car is bone stock. Im not expecting to win just have a good time.

Welcome to the NJ BMW CCA forum!

Come to race (no embarrassment will be had)! Everyone is SUPER nice & friendly and will offer tips and make you feel very welcome. You will have the ability to ride with an instructor who will point out upcoming turns and go over where you can improve after your run is over. I think most of the cars are bone stock. I guaranty you will have a GREAT time.

For the 3/20 event you may have to sign up in advance, and for all events you have the option to pre-register (I almost always do).

If you don't feel like racing, you can still come and watch, and even hitch a ride in someone's car to experience it from that angle (I recommend a ride in the M-Bus! :twisted: ). Afterwards you would be able to run your own car on a $1 "Fun Run" which is non-competitive, but if I was you I would come to race!
Last edited by BJerolimic on Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

and gone but not forgotten:
'00 323Ci Steel Grey / Black Dinan & UUC & Schnitzer mods
'89 325iX Diamond Black / Black 4dr 5spd Dinan chip, Ireland exhaust, H&R+Koni
'01 525iTa

drautox

Post by drautox »

The E46 330i Sport is in D class. You can always get someone experienced to ride around with you. You can download a registration form under "forms". It is a Word document, and it can be filled out on line, then printed. You can bring it with you the morning of the event.

A Snell 95 or later helmet is required. This standard may be upgraded by next season. Some loaners will be available.

Bone stock is fine; if you plan on having fun, and stay on course, you will have the right attitude.

Extra tire pressure will help; find out what other are using in your model.
Experience is the best autocross aid.

dngo

Post by dngo »

Did someone just mention the M Bus??

All you really need is to follow the advice above. Most importantly, be prepared to have fun!

Dave

Overlord

Post by Overlord »

Folks, I'm new to the club and AutoX.
where can I find out what the requirements are?
is a helmet necessary, if so what type?
what is the age limit to drive the course?
what are the fees to participate?
is there food to purchase, if not should i bring a grill?
sorry for the basic questions but this is all new to me. :?:

badbadm

Post by badbadm »

Overlord wrote: is there food to purchase, if not should i bring a grill?
I like this guy! :lol:

rumatt

Post by rumatt »

> where can I find out what the requirements are?

Not sure what requirements you may be referring to. Just show up in a street legal car, bring your drivers license, and ready to have fun and learn.

> is a helmet necessary, if so what type?

For your first event, you can just use one of the loaner helmets

> what is the age limit to drive the course?

You need a drivers license. I think that's the only restriction???

> what are the fees to participate?

Last year it was $40 for BMWCCA members, maybe an extra $10 for non-members.

> is there food to purchase, if not should i bring a grill?

No food! Bring your grill !!!!! BBQ time!
Last edited by rumatt on Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

rumatt

Post by rumatt »

gpoles wrote:Im athinking of joining the club and attending the March Autox event. I have a 2001 330i sport (with Mwheels) and am a little nervous. What should I expect at the event etc? Should I come to one first as a spectator in order to avoid embarrassment.

You do not need to worry about being embarassed. Just show up willing to learn and have fun. Nobody will care if you a slow (everyone was their first time). This club is very friendly to newbies! (I was one last year, and I survived). They only way anyone would be pissed is if you were reckless or unsafe. No doughnuts in the staging area.

You definitely don't need any modifications to your car, although you should obviously make sure it is in good mechanical condition.

Although it is generally very safe, you should be aware that it is a timed event, and this can mean that your insurance may not cover any damage in the off chance there is an accident. I don't want to scare you off, because the events are very well controlled and it really is quite safe, but they are possible.

It took me a while to become comfortable with this (I have the same car as you, but 2003) but after a few events, I got over it quickly. :D

jont

Post by jont »

rumatt wrote:
You definitely don't need any modifications to your car, although you should obviously make sure it is in good mechanical condition.
'

One other thing, before you come, it's a good idea to empty your car of anything you won't need for the autocross - loose papers, CDs, other materials, etc.

You're supposed to have an "empty" car when you autocross, so if you can eliminate the extras, it'd be good.