DCT Long Term Experience

nj325ci

DCT Long Term Experience

Post by nj325ci »

I'm looking at a CPO 135is with DCT. Have always had manuals and I'm not familiar with the complexity/reliability/expense of the autos long term (I realize it can differ depending upon the specific trans and the DCT is very unique). Can anyone share experience with what I might expect through 150,000 to 200,000 miles with a DCT?

Thanks, Bill

afadeev

Re: DCT Long Term Experience

Post by afadeev »

nj325ci wrote:I'm looking at a CPO 135is with DCT. Have always had manuals and I'm not familiar with the complexity/reliability/expense of the autos long term (I realize it can differ depending upon the specific trans and the DCT is very unique). Can anyone share experience with what I might expect through 150,000 to 200,000 miles with a DCT?
Bill,

150K-200K is a LOT of miles to ask for on a DCT car.
When did the first DCT come out, E90 (2008?) ?

Before then, you are dealing with bulkier SMG/SMG-2 boxes.
150K miles in under 8 years would be ~20K/year. Doable, but with some dedication.

Personally, I would be leery of owning a DCT / SMG box with that many miles. They are bound to be expensive to work on, and even more expense to replace (vs. manual).

Having said that, I am driving an F80 with DCT, and loving it.
So does my wife, when she steals the keys to go and pickup kids from school !

a

nj325ci

Re: DCT Long Term Experience

Post by nj325ci »

Thanks, that was my concern exactly. I think my high annual miles make a DCT a risky proposition long term. It looks like a full replacement, if that was ever needed, would run $10k or more if you can believe what you read on line. Considering how less common manuals are getting in the CPO offerings maybe it's just as well that I stick with a stick this time around. Next time around it might be that much harder to find one, at least in a non-M car.

Thanks again, Bill