garage floor paint

Anything that doesn't fit into the other categories.
spinny

garage floor paint

Post by spinny »

Planning to finally paint the garage floor - 15 year old slab with typical engine block droppings and wheel smudge.

Paint co instructions were to remove all the oil / stains before applying epoxy paint - even suggested using Simple Green HD to degrease. So after 4 tries, although now somewhat less vibrant, the 'stains' are still there - and a shoulder shrug from Simple Green.

Anyone have a good plan B???

Really don't want to grind it. But anyone know a grinder just in case?

RonG

Re: garage floor paint

Post by RonG »

From what I recall when I painted mine (15+ years ago), you don't need to remove all visible traces of the stains, which can run fairly deep into the concrete. You just need to be certain that what remains is not hydrophobic. Once you've accomplished that, it should accept the paint with no trouble. (This assumes you're using a two-part epoxy paint.)

Keep scrubbing, rinsing and repeating until there is absolutely no beading over/around the stains. Check again after etching; if the rinse water pulls away from the stains again, repeat the whole process in that area.
2011 Azurite Black/Oyster Individual 335xi
2003 Black Sapphire/Natural Brown 330Ci
2022 San Remo Green/Oyster 430i

dngo

Post by dngo »

Many good floor epoxies strongly recommend the use of muriatic acid to clean the concrete. You will have to flush thoroughly with water and allow to completely dry before applying the epoxy.

Dave
'15 MCR P90D <- the stealthy daily
'98 TiAg M3/4 <- the Bus

RealM3E30

Post by RealM3E30 »

I used to use Muriatic acid on concert pools to prepare for paint, just be careful with it, comes by the gallon. I would also try using a power washer with the Simple Green ? Let us know how it works out, mine is next !! 8)
91 E30 M//3 GQ
88 E30 M//3 TR
07 E91 328XIT
12 E70 X5D
16 F31 MSport Wagon
71 2002 Vintage Race Car

Myro

Post by Myro »

ive been using the products at home depot on the concrete floors and they hold up and work really well under heavy use (ie fork lifts and pallet jacks )

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

There us a product by Chomp called "Pull It Out" that will greatly reduce if not eliminate oil stains in concrete. Home Depot has it.

Re painting your floor, the instructions for the 2-part paints I have used required etching the concrete surface with a muriatic-acid solution. I don't know how good the adhesion will be without proper surface preparation. If you etch the surface, you will need to allow sufficient time for drying after the etching-flushing process.

spinny

Post by spinny »

Cleaned the floor again with Simple Green HD Pro. Simple Green rcmnded adding baking soda. Why? I found a YouTube video on garage floor prep pre-paint that suggested using a hi PH (alkaline) solution to remove oil. pH of water ~5, baking soda ~7. So I also added ammonia - Ph ~11. Took the oil right off. Scrubbed it with a round floor sander rented from Home Depot with a rough 'plastic' abrasion disk. Worked well. Rinsed 2-3 times with power washer. Since the concrete surface was in good shape, no need to etch. The sanding disk also helped. Corotech suggested using Simple Green HD Pro after I complained that their cleaner was $50 / gal.

Used 2 coats of Corotech V440 epoxy concrete paint. Benjamin Moore bought Coronado 3-4 years ago. Corotech rcmnd using their V156 sealer / primer first. So far looks good. But the paint really began to become viscous after 2 hours, so had to hustle.