Problem with s52 cold idle

Engine, Transmission, Final Drive, and anything in between belongs here.
brewsterE30M3

Problem with s52 cold idle

Post by brewsterE30M3 »

Motor oscillates on cold start-up for a few minutes, idle when warmed up is fine. Oscillations are from 400-900 rpm.
Motor has 195k
Replaced plugs, one bad coil and O2 sensors (2 pre cat) at 193k.
No CEL lit.

Any ideas/help is much appreciated.

Bruce D.

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

With the symptom present, slightly crack the throttles. If the motor smooths out, the problem is likely the Idle Control Valve. If not, check for air leaks and check the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor.

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

My brother in law had the same issue on his S52. It was a failing ICV.
17 F15 X5 40e
17 F25 X3 28i MSport
11 E92 M3 ZCP
04 E46 325cic
93 E36 325is - JS #172
12 Ford F350 King Ranch dually

brewsterE30M3

Post by brewsterE30M3 »

Thanks Vic and Jeff for the advice, sort of thought that the ICV was a good place to start.
I will order and replace it this week if I can get my new Euro headlights to work first.......btw-the Depo euro head light assemblies leave alot to be desired.
Came with conversion wiring/plugs w/o instructions and wire connectors are cheap and flimzee. Can't recommend these unit just yet, should have listened to Levent and got the OE euro assemblies. You always get what you pay for! :(
Bruce D.

daytripper

Post by daytripper »

brewsterE30M3 wrote:Thanks Vic and Jeff for the advice, sort of thought that the ICV was a good place to start.
I will order and replace it this week if I can get my new Euro headlights to work first.......btw-the Depo euro head light assemblies leave alot to be desired.
Came with conversion wiring/plugs w/o instructions and wire connectors are cheap and flimzee. Can't recommend these unit just yet, should have listened to Levent and got the OE euro assemblies. You always get what you pay for! :(
Bruce D.
I've had Depo Euro headlights on my e30 now for couple years and so far they work great. Much better than the old sealed beams and I like the city/daytime lights but good luck trying to aim them, big pain in the arse. I hear what your saying about those assemblies but think of all the weight your saving ;). Also I remember reading online that they have a propensity for leaking so I put some silicone glue stuff around all the seams. Good luck.

brewsterE30M3

Post by brewsterE30M3 »

thanks for the heads up on the Depo leakage issue.....will seal with RTV.
the vendor for my Depos (EAS) just emailed me the pin-out diagram for my e36 with a Plan "B" alt. wiring scheme.....I guess better late than never, would have been nice to have it in the box that they were shipped in...

btw-did you buy the protective vinyl covering for your Depos?
assuming that yours are glass lens like mine.

Bruce D.