<Wanted> M42 Upper Oil Pan

Engine, Transmission, Final Drive, and anything in between belongs here.
kevnj

<Wanted> M42 Upper Oil Pan

Post by kevnj »

Does anyone have a spare upper oil pan for a M42?

I went to replace the lower oil pan gasket and noticed a crack in the upper oil pan to my dismay... :evil:

edw1

Post by edw1 »

That's what JB weld is for.

ImageImage

kevnj

Post by kevnj »

edw1 wrote:That's what JB weld is for.

Hmmm...Not the most elegant solution but it could work I guess in a pinch.

You lemons guys are quite resourceful at patching stuff together.

kevnj

Post by kevnj »

Does anyone have a spare lying around? I am still weighing my options.

I "think" the motor will need to be pulled or the front subframe needs to be removed in order to replace this part....all this work for a tired M42 :roll:

dhirschhorn

Post by dhirschhorn »

You can change the oil pan with the engine still in the car.

You'll have to unbolt the engine mounts from the chassis and jack one of the sides up, but doing this will let you unbolt and slip the old upper oil pan out and get the new one in. I did it a few years ago and didn't even have to remove the radiator.

Just check things as you jack one of the sides up to make sure there's enough slack in everything like rad hoses from the rad to the engine and the intake system.

kevnj

Post by kevnj »

dhirschhorn wrote:You can change the oil pan with the engine still in the car.

You'll have to unbolt the engine mounts from the chassis and jack one of the sides up, but doing this will let you unbolt and slip the old upper oil pan out and get the new one in. I did it a few years ago and didn't even have to remove the radiator.

Just check things as you jack one of the sides up to make sure there's enough slack in everything like rad hoses from the rad to the engine and the intake system.

THANKS...that sounds promising looks like I need to source the part now.

kevnj

Post by kevnj »

Does anyone know if the oil pan off an E36 M42 fits the E30 M42? The E30 has a two piece oil pan while the E36 has a one piece design.

There is a E36 pan available and I would like to know it the parts are interchangeable (I.E. Able to mate to the block and also clear the front sub-frame).

Thanks,

-Kev

Kosla

Post by Kosla »

E36 oil pan does not fit the E30. It will not clear the sub frame

kevnj

Post by kevnj »

Kosla wrote:E36 oil pan does not fit the E30. It will not clear the sub frame
Thanks...that's what I figured but I have been having a hard time finding a good source to confirm this.

Looks like I sourced one locally and will pick it up tomorrow.

Since I was going to reinforce the motor mount points on the subframe and replace the suspension, I'm just going to pull the whole front end off. Funny how my twenty minute job of replacing the gasket on the lower pan turned into this.

mmarv

Post by mmarv »

kevnj wrote:
Kosla wrote:E36 oil pan does not fit the E30. It will not clear the sub frame
Thanks...that's what I figured but I have been having a hard time finding a good source to confirm this.

Looks like I sourced one locally and will pick it up tomorrow.

Since I was going to reinforce the motor mount points on the subframe and replace the suspension, I'm just going to pull the whole front end off. Funny how my twenty minute job of replacing the gasket on the lower pan turned into this.
When working on an E30, the logic of 'while I'm in there' will usually result in replacing half if not the whole car.
-------------------------
2017 BMW M2

kevnj

Post by kevnj »

still looking for an upper pan