FS: E30 Power Steering Rack

Engine, Transmission, Final Drive, and anything in between belongs here.
Khalild

FS: E30 Power Steering Rack

Post by Khalild »

Off an ic coupe will fit most e30s
$125 obo any offers excepted
has complete tie rod assemblies in good condition

Jacksone30

325i rack

Post by Jacksone30 »

Do you know if this will fit my 89 325i convertible?
My rack seems to have a bit of play in it. Was this rack in good shape?
I would hate to swap it out for the same or worse!

Just put new struts , strut mounts, and control arms, new front tires and alignment on my 325i and there is still a little shake in the front end.
I wonder if swapping the rack will take care of it.

Only thing i did not replace was the tie rods and the rack. Tie rod ends seemed good- they were tight - but then again - I'm a weekend hack so I think I might need the rack.

Jacksone30

325i rack

Post by Jacksone30 »

Do you know if this will fit my 89 325i convertible?

Just put new struts , strut mounts, and control arms, new front tires and alignment on my 325i and there is still a little shake in the front end.

Only thing i did not replace was the tie rods and the rack. Tie rod ends seemed good- they were tight - but then again - I'm a weekend hack so I think I might need the rack.

kevnj

Re: 325i rack

Post by kevnj »

Jacksone30 wrote:Do you know if this will fit my 89 325i convertible?

Jack if Khalid does not have one I have an extra rack in my garage.
1988 E30 M3
1991 E30 318is
2003 E46 330i ZHP
2009 Jetta TDi 6 Speed Manual
2008 Simplicity Lawn Tractor (18 HP V-Twin)

kevnj

Post by kevnj »

Thanks guys for all the excellent feedback.

Jeff I ordered the book last night.

Rob and Vic, I was going to change the bearings either way unless they look to be in brand new condition with zero scoring or discoloration. On the Rod bolts going to go all new for sure either way.

Any suggestions on an Angle torque wrench? I have one of the Husky brand long bar torque wrenches that have gotten good reviews. Not a Snapon but of decent quality. I figure I'll bench test it against someone who has one that was just calibrated before using it to torque the rod bolts.
1988 E30 M3
1991 E30 318is
2003 E46 330i ZHP

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

kevnj wrote:Thanks guys for all the excellent feedback.

Rob and Vic, I was going to change the bearings either way unless they look to be in brand new condition with zero scoring or discoloration. On the Rod bolts going to go all new for sure either way.

Any suggestions on an Angle torque wrench? I have one of the Husky brand long bar torque wrenches that have gotten good reviews. Not a Snapon but of decent quality. I figure I'll bench test it against someone who has one that was just calibrated before using it to torque the rod bolts.
I have a torque angle gauge you can borrow if you decide not to invest in the super fancy torque wrench. I bought it for doing the head on an M20 which has angle requirements when tightening the head bolts.
17 F15 X5 40e
17 F25 X3 28i MSport
11 E92 M3 ZCP
04 E46 325cic
93 E36 325is - JS #172
12 Ford F350 King Ranch dually

kevnj

Post by kevnj »

jnscaldwell wrote:
kevnj wrote:Thanks guys for all the excellent feedback.

I have a torque angle gauge you can borrow if you decide not to invest in the super fancy torque wrench. I bought it for doing the head on an M20 which has angle requirements when tightening the head bolts.
Woops. Looks like I cross posted into this thread by mistake and Jeff followed me in.

Please disregard
1988 E30 M3
1991 E30 318is
2003 E46 330i ZHP