1986 911 Carrera Coupe

Selling a BMW? Looking for one? This is the place for you.
s38junkie

1986 911 Carrera Coupe

Post by s38junkie »

Overview

Garnet Red / Burgundy
Factory whale tail
143K miles
4 owners
Excellent condition
No accidents
Most records / all books / all keys

This is a (almost) bone stock, unmolested NA 911 with all maintenance up to date. During my ownership it has been exclusively serviced by Rennewerke Porsche in Elmsford, NY. My usual car spending habits meant that anything that needed attention was dealt with promptly and preventative maintenance was done proactively. When I purchased the car in October 2013 it was obviously well loved and the records I have back this up. I'm OCD about letting everything get up to operating temperature and then exercising properly - it was never started and "moved" in the driveway or driven a few miles to the grocery store and shut off.

Mechanicals

The 915 transmission is direct and smooth shifting with no noises or grinding. The clutch is smooth and recent cable and clutch helper spring replacement eradicated a heavy pedal. I also had the valves adjusted and replaced the cap and rotor. The motor pulls good and hard all the way up to redline, keeps good oil pressure and doesn't smoke. It also sounds lovely with its stock exhaust and stock air filter. The general consensus is that the 3.2 is just about bullet proof and during my ownership the car has been dead reliable and has performed several 4 - 5 hour trips to CT and upstate NY without hiccup. Oil consumption stands at about 1 qt / 1k miles. Previous records show this consumption to be consistent. Previous oil leaks were addressed by replacing the cam feed oil lines and oil return tubes. The shocks appear to be original with still excellent damping. Brakes are simply fantastic with excellent pedal feel and recent rear brake pads.

Exterior

This car was ordered from the factory with the whale tail. The Garnet red paint is in excellent condition overall. There are a few small scratches and the front bumper has stone chips. All the panels are mirror straight. There is one deep 1 inch scratch on the rear drivers side rocker panel just aft of the jack point. It is not really noticeable unless you're crouching down. The rubber on the factory rear spoiler, rear bumper bricks, and bumper accordions are also in excellent condition. The upgraded H1 headlights have minor pitting but no cracks. The windshield has some pitting (appears to be original) and all other glass is excellent.

Underside is clean and rust free.

Interior

Everything works except the AC which blows warm. I did not attempt to troubleshoot as I have other cars that I use in hot, summer weather. The 911 was used on nice weekends for recreation. Windows, sunroof, gauges, power drivers seat, heat controls, rear wiper, and central locking all function as they should. The leather seats are in very good shape overall; it falls short of an "excellent" IMO because of some color wear on the drivers side bolster and cracking on the drivers bottom seat cushion (did not crack through, looks to have been repaired at some point, visible in the pictures). The headliner matches the door panels, seats and dash and is in excellent condition. The dash is crack free and perfect. The rear seats and rear parcel shelf are perfect. Door panels and door pulls are excellent and have the optional, extended leather. Carpeting is very good with wear showing on the drivers side door sill. The drivers footwell is amazingly unworn for this age and mileage which tells you a lot about how this 911 was taken care of. The radio is a period correct Kenwood head unit with ADS speakers. iT sounds fine... I think I've used it once (?) :)

Recent Maintenance:

- Belts
- Retorqued front wheel bearings
- Replaced drivers side rear axle boots
- New clutch cable and clutch arm helper spring
- Right side cam feed oil lines replaced
- Oil return tubes replaced
- Valve adjustment
- Flushed gearbox fluid
- New engine compartment pad
- Air filter
- New distributor cap and rotor
- New rear brake pads
- New fuel pump

Oil changes done every 3k miles religiously with Brad Penn 20W50.

Upgrades

- H1 Headlights
- Wevo shifter linkage coupler
- Upgraded hood shocks front and rear (everything stays up)

Summary

This is a turn key 911 that you can use every day or put away for nice weekends. All maintenance is done and up to date. The only reason I'm selling is that I just acquired a "F" car and have no room. This car will make someone who is looking for the classic 911 experience very happy without any of the headaches of classic car ownership.

$36k OBO

Contact Information
Mike Kovac
Euroe28m5@gmail.com
917 three seven four 32 nine one

Pictures & Videos

https://flickr.com/photos/124140497@N02/sets/72157660680611901

Mike K

1972 Citroen SM
1989 Milano Verde
1989 Mondial t Coupe
1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16