2002 MCS Time Bomb?

RicardoVenegas

2002 MCS Time Bomb?

Post by RicardoVenegas »

Now that I got you reading the overly underused Mini subforum, maybe one of you socket wrench/sledgehammer wizards can help me diagnose an ongoing problem with my front end wheel/driveshaft/suspension.

First, some history: 2002 MCS with 102K miles still had original suspension except the struts which were replaced with Koni FSD struts a few years ago. Other modifications before problems arose include studs, a Wilwood brake kit in the front, stainless brake lines.

Around April of this year, and probably just after I replaced the brake pads all the way around as I was getting ready for the AutoX season and hopefully a couple of track days this year, my wife was driving the car and told me she heard a loud clicking from the front passenger side wheel while she was making a tight turn in a parking lot. I confirmed a speed dependant clicking on turning left from right hand wheel and less noticeable but still there from the left hand wheel turning right.

I checked the wheel studs, the wheel nuts were correctly torqued, there were no visible "witness marks" on the wheel or the brake calipers. I tried a different set of wheels that have much more clearance to the brake caliper. I tried rotating the wheel bearings and didn't get any binding, grinding or other indication it might be the bearings. So, I did some research on the interwebs, listened to video on YouTube and talked to a couple of local independent mechanics that suggested it was the driveshaft cv joints.

Upon inspection, they did seem to "clunk" when rotated, but I did expect the sound to be evident at all times if it was the bearing or driveshaft, not just when turning. The CV boots where also not damaged. One mechanic suggested that they saw high mileage cars driven mostly on the highway with driveshaft bearings that had worn tracks on a particular axis and that turning would cause the bearings to click as the bearing rotated and hit these tracks. I found this plausible and convinced myself that I needed to replace the CV joints. I ended up buying new driveshafts from the DriveShaft Shop in NC. They seem to be very well made.

This weekend I finally got around to doing the installation on the front end. I replaced the driveshafts, upper strut mounts with Helix adjustable camber plates, control arm bushings, inner/outer balljoints and swaybar bushings. Since I plan on doing some other suspension work by next track season, I left some other parts for then, including the wheel bearings, tie rod ends and swaybar endlinks, all of which can be done without dropping the subframe.

After a drive yesterday, everything seemed ok until last night when I got home and heard the clicking again. :? Seems to be only from the left hand wheel turning right. Again, I checked wheel nut torque, and everything else I can reach without putting the car up on stands. Which I will save until I get some suggestions on what to check.

Thanks for looking, reading the long post, and any suggestions you may have.

Regards, Ricardo

RAYADAM

Post by RAYADAM »

Hey Ricardo,
you seemed to have covered the basics,and assuming you installed quality replacements and that they were not damaged in the process.this click you hear is rotational still?..clicks faster as you accelerate?or accelerate on the turn?
I'll throw in some quick things to check....
I am not sure what rim size your running and how big the wilwood calipers you installed.. check for a slightly bent rim which maybe slightly touching the caliper and also I have seen in the past whereas a stick on wheel weights can make contact with the caliper...this can happen with the slightest flexing of the wheel assembly especially if the two above mention parts are extremely close to one another.
another thing that has driven some of us nuts, check for a nail/screw in the tire..may not be leaking ,just enough to make noises that drive you insane.
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

RicardoVenegas

Post by RicardoVenegas »

Ray, thank you for the suggestions.

I did use OEM Lemfoerder ball joints (I love how they scrape off the BMW casting marks), Powerflex bushings and the Drive Shaft Shop axles. I didn't measure the axles, but I have a feeling they are slightly thicker than OE, and generally gave a very well built impression. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will post a couple of the old axles.

I am running the stock 16" X-Lites and they clear the Dynapro calipers, a TCE Performance Plus 1 set designed for the Mini. I haven't seem any marks on the calipers, weights or rims to indicate any contact. I have also run my 16" SSR Comps with different tires on which have another 6MM offset and more room on the spokes and continue to get the clicking.

The click is rotational, speed and load dependent. Straight line or changing lanes does not create the click. Sharper turns will click. Faster speed will click faster.

This evening I will retest with different wheel/tires and look for any other potential contact.

My old driveshafts had peeled their coating towards the outer end of the shaft. My thought was that maybe the swaybar endlinks had been rubbing, but I can't duplicate a static condition where the endlinks can touch the driveshaft. Plus I would expect that the noise would be more of a grinding noise than a click.

RicardoVenegas

The noise...

Post by RicardoVenegas »

The link below is to a sound file with the noise. First turning right and then full lock to the left. http://my.pogoplug.com/share/cTvASXbLCT ... g/Memo.m4a

Got the car up on stands last night couldn't identify any touch points. With engine on and transmission engaged could not replicate the noise with or without tires on.

The drivers side axle was rotating while the passenger side was not. Is that how it is supposed to be for a car without an LSD