Front End Noise

nj325ci

Front End Noise

Post by nj325ci »

I was backing my coupe up in the driveway tonight. Had the wheel locked and was backing up slowly. A few feet into my back-up I felt/heard a thump as if something was binding and then releasing in the right front end. It happens while backing up with the wheel locked or close to locked in either direction. It definitely doesn't happen going forward with the wheel locked. The front end feels fine otherwise under all circumstances.

Possibly related items: (1) the tires are at the wear bars (2) I just got a front end alignment this past weekend

Any ideas on what it might be or what to check?

Thanks, Bill

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

Could just be the spring moving on the perch. I've had that happen on my race car and could not figure it out for the longest time.
17 F15 X5 40e
17 F25 X3 28i MSport
11 E92 M3 ZCP
04 E46 325cic
93 E36 325is - JS #172
12 Ford F350 King Ranch dually

jont

Post by jont »

jnscaldwell wrote:Could just be the spring moving on the perch. I've had that happen on my race car and could not figure it out for the longest time.
I've experienced it in my Z3 when the wheel's turned, too. It feels like you've run over something because it seems like a small hop. I've never been able to figure it out, but what Jeff offered is plausible.
-Jon Trudel, #163357