GForce Performance Chip Kit

Al323i

GForce Performance Chip Kit

Post by Al323i »

Does anyone have any experience with the GF Performance Chip Kit? Their claims seem too good to be true, thus my concern. :roll: Here is the link for the Z3: http://www.gfchips.com/bmwz3.aspx

Al

edw1

Post by edw1 »

Those cheap "chips" are usually resistors to be wired in series with the coolant temp sensor. This increased resistance gives the ECU a false low coolant temp. EFI systems inject extra fuel to offset poor fuel atomization/evaporation when the engine is cold.

This crude method of enriching the air/fuel ratio was occasionally used in the 80s but has not been seen since. I think Dinan or other reputable tuners did this back then when the ECU fuel maps were difficult to crack. Modern EFI systems would probably adjust maps to offset and/or throw a check engine light. You also run the risk of washing down the cylinder walls with fuel causing premature bore wear in the long run.
ImageImage

Al323i

Post by Al323i »

From the short time digging I did on how an IAT works, I believe you are correct, just a passive series resistor in the 'black box'.

Al

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

+1 on Ed's advice.

US-spec Z3s should be OBD II compliant, as they began production in '96. OBD II [On-Board Diagnostics - Level 2] cars monitor the coolant temp vs. drive time and will set a thermostat code and turn on the SES lamp if the coolant does not come up to the prescribed temperature. So an add-on device that makes the DME think that the coolant temp is low can set this trouble code.