2k M Roadster - Need mechanic in North Jersey

tmaher

Post by tmaher »

Paul Miller in Wayne, NJ

tmaher

Post by tmaher »

tmaher wrote:Paul Miller in Wayne, NJ
Moreover I was hoping to have a few dings removed by them and while they were at it I wanted the passenger side mirror base repaired under the corrosion warranty. I was left feeling as if they had no interest in repairing the mirror.

For the dings, one in the hood and three on the passenger side door I was quoted what I thought was a reasonable price and I have no gripe with them at all, they stated the dings would be between $275 and $300 for all. (if someone knows of a competent ding guy, I'm all ears though)

But when we spoke about the mirror base, which you can see the paint is bubbling due to corrosion under the paint, the possibility of having it covered under warranty was called into question - the car still has 23 months of coverage. At first they were trying to tell me that the mirror base is plastic and therefore even though the paint is bubbling off, it wouldn't be covered. When I pointed out it was metal, they then stated they felt the corrosion warranty would only cover body panels, and finally when I pushed a little more they stated they would contact the BMW rep who could "test the paint with a meter to see if it had ever been repainted" - This car has never been in any accidents and has never been repainted, but Paul Miller has a body shop, so I think they were trying to get me to pay out of pocket for the work.

And, get this, I would be charged double-labor because they do the "dings here at the dealership and the mirror base is done at the body shop" So, the passenger door panel would come off once for the ding guy and a second time for the body shop..

I totally expected to pay a premium at the dealership, however I expected honesty in their quotes and more knowledge of the cars they've sold.

However, I'm still hoping to get the dings done and hopefully the BMW rep will stand behind the warranty and cover the work as I have no other choice. And if they don't repair the mirror, I'll file a claim with the BBB..

And by the way, when I asked about BMWCCA Member discounts they smiled and said, Yes. We do offer a discount, it's 10% OFF.. Which by the way is what they offer for ANY Joe Schmo that walks in the door with one of their "print your own service discount coupons for 10% OFF" - It's on their website, just print it and you get 10% OFF, so in reality, they are not offering any benefit for being a BMWCCA Member..

TimCircleBMW

Clutch

Post by TimCircleBMW »

Please Please Please call me when things like this happen. I will be more than happy to help you with stuff like this. It sounds like the service advisor had NO IDEA what kind of car you owned. It frustrates me when I read things like this because it makes all dealers look bad. Email me directly for any questions regarding your car. Thanks!!

Tim
Tim M

1995 BMW M5 Euro Daytona Violet
1985 Subaru BRAT GL
1992 Mercedes 300D
1998 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
2021 Toyota Tundra 1794 TRD Offroad

tmaher

Post by tmaher »

That's very true Tim. I too felt they had no clue about the car, the words, "we haven't seen one of these in a really long time" were spoken more than once. Usually accompanied with *I think* when replying to my questions. I never got a positive answer. Oh well, I'm sure I could have gotten all kinds of answers if I was inquiring about a new Z4 M.

I appreciate your offer. Hopefully I'll be able to work through this myself, I just wish you were a little closer or I'd be there already.. :)

BMWE30M3CABRIO

Post by BMWE30M3CABRIO »

tmaher wrote: I appreciate your offer. Hopefully I'll be able to work through this myself, I just wish you were a little closer or I'd be there already.. :)
Sometimes it's worth the drive. I used to drive an hour each way for Tim to assist on my car. Peace of mind is a beautiful thing! :D

tmaher

Post by tmaher »

I sold my boat this past summer - had I not, I'd be all over the Eatontown ride.. As long as he dropped me off at the docks ;)

cgraff

Post by cgraff »

tmaher wrote:Great! I'll try both ShadeTree and Haven Motors, they're much closer.

One of the things that really annoyed me yesterday at the dealership was when I inquired about the Inspection I for the car, they stated it was $600 and required replacement of the micron cabin filter (uh, no it doesn't - this car has none) - Then they stated there was a valve adjustment where they "shimmed the valves". And finally, when I inquired about the throw-out bearing and clutch replacement I was told the parts, "double-clutch, flywheel and throw-out bearing" would be $900 is parts alone - Now, I understand getting raped on the labor at a dealership, but I can get those same OEM parts for $336. And, yeah. It's not a double-clutch setup so, I've lost all faith in these guys. They were either incompetent or simply trying to rip me off, either way the outcome is, no business for them.
With regards to the clutch...

The dual mass flywheels are a piece of cr@p. They have a lifespan equivalent to the clutch nowadays. I've done 2 clutch jobs where we didn't replace the flywheel (and these weren't with all that high mileage) and regretted it. I've done 2 other jobs where we put in the UUC sprung hub clutch set-up with the steel flywheel (not the super lightweight aluminum one) and both times have absolutely loved the result. (One was incidentally on a 2000 M Roadster and the other was a '96 328is)

And I think most dealers and independents now try to replace the dual mass flywheel (to the tune of ~$600-800 list in parts alone) along with the clutch in one shot - and I don't blame them.

I think Tim also put in a UUC in his M5 too, if I'm not mistaken...

-Chris

tmaher

Post by tmaher »

Well, I was considering going with a lightweight flywheel. The stock unit is 25lbs from what I've read, and there might possibly be available a Grand Am legal flywheel that's 20lbs - Not super lightweight, but should provide for a little quicker revving and smoother shifts.