2k M Roadster - Need mechanic in North Jersey

tmaher

2k M Roadster - Need mechanic in North Jersey

Post by tmaher »

Hello All,

I'm looking for a local mechanic to perform the 40k inspection on my 2000 M Roadster - And I'm not even sure what the 40k inspection entails. However, I would like a noise I have inspected to see what could be causing it. The noise is heard each time I depress the clutch pedal. I suspect it might be the throw-out bearing, but it seems to have a bit of a hydraulic whine to it. Since it has a hydraulic clutch, how could I tell what could be causing the noise?

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

Make the drive to Don Fields (Mr. M Car) down in Farmingdale. Its worth the trip.

tmaher

Post by tmaher »

That's an hours drive at least for me, I'm near Wayne, NJ. Is he that good and that inexpensive? I'm only asking because I would have to bring two cars down, drop the bimmer off, go home, then go back down and bring two cars home again. I was really hoping for someone local to the Wayne area.

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

He is that good, yes. However someone else might suggest a good independent nearer to Wayne. I am from the central part of the state so I don't know your area too well. Good luck.

momoboy

Post by momoboy »

Motor Works West is excellent as well and would be a bit closer to you. They are not inexpensive but will surely be able to sort out and do the work on your car:

http://www.motorworkswest.com/

CT88

Post by CT88 »

I take my car to Bill at Bimmerclinic. He's in Elizabeth, still about 45 minutues from Wayne though. The number there is 732 218 7632.
2001 M5
2015 X3
'96 Cosmos M3 over Modena - sold :(

tmaher

Post by tmaher »

Well, curiosity got the better of me and I decided to run to the dealership to get an estimate - damn! Won't be using them for any service.

edw1

Post by edw1 »

I hear this shop does first rate work.

http://www.vimeo.com/2342655

Ed
ImageImage

tmaher

Post by tmaher »

right..

sgoatley2001e46

Post by sgoatley2001e46 »

If the work hasn't already been done, try Shade Tree Garage in Morristown. They're friendly with the club and have worked on my car many times. I'm always happy with the work, they're professional, and won't cost you an arm and a leg. You might be able to get a loaner car for the day if you ask in advance. They've also got a great reputation having been in business for 30+ years. 973-540-9880.

Razzy23

Post by Razzy23 »

CT88 wrote:I take my car to Bill at Bimmerclinic. He's in Elizabeth, still about 45 minutues from Wayne though. The number there is 732 218 7632.
+1 On BimmerClinic. Great work, Great Price and he really takes care of you.

kishg

Post by kishg »

shade tree or motorwerks west. shade tree is closer to you in morristown.

tjkirk

Post by tjkirk »

Try Haven Motors on Goffle Rd. in Ridgewood. I do a lot of my own work, but they've been very helpful when I've needed it. Joe, the owner is good to work with and honest. Craig is an ex-BMW tech and knows the cars.

tmaher

Post by tmaher »

Great! I'll try both ShadeTree and Haven Motors, they're much closer.

One of the things that really annoyed me yesterday at the dealership was when I inquired about the Inspection I for the car, they stated it was $600 and required replacement of the micron cabin filter (uh, no it doesn't - this car has none) - Then they stated there was a valve adjustment where they "shimmed the valves". And finally, when I inquired about the throw-out bearing and clutch replacement I was told the parts, "double-clutch, flywheel and throw-out bearing" would be $900 is parts alone - Now, I understand getting raped on the labor at a dealership, but I can get those same OEM parts for $336. And, yeah. It's not a double-clutch setup so, I've lost all faith in these guys. They were either incompetent or simply trying to rip me off, either way the outcome is, no business for them.

staianoa

Which dealer?

Post by staianoa »

tmaher wrote:Great! I'll try both ShadeTree and Haven Motors, they're much closer.

One of the things that really annoyed me yesterday at the dealership was when I inquired about the Inspection I for the car, they stated it was $600 and required replacement of the micron cabin filter (uh, no it doesn't - this car has none) - Then they stated there was a valve adjustment where they "shimmed the valves". And finally, when I inquired about the throw-out bearing and clutch replacement I was told the parts, "double-clutch, flywheel and throw-out bearing" would be $900 is parts alone - Now, I understand getting raped on the labor at a dealership, but I can get those same OEM parts for $336. And, yeah. It's not a double-clutch setup so, I've lost all faith in these guys. They were either incompetent or simply trying to rip me off, either way the outcome is, no business for them.
Which dealership gave you such a ridiculous estimate? Please share for the benefit of the group!