2006 Z4 - under hood ticking/chatter

sgoatley2001e46

2006 Z4 - under hood ticking/chatter

Post by sgoatley2001e46 »

This is an update to one of my original posts...still seeking an answer and hoping to keep the subject alive...

At the October meeting with Mike Miller some discussions came up about the Z4 and some chatter or noises that come from under the hood. I believe there was also a note that this was common and that a repair was covered under warranty. I'm not a Z4 owner, but curious as to what this noise is. I forget what the explanation was and need some help.

My uncle has a 2006 Z4 3.0si with between 20-25K miles. He has an automatic, so it can't be the SAC. I asked him if he has heard any noises and he said yes, so I agreed to inquire for him. I hope that someone can point me in the right direction so I can tell him what the car needs and possibly get him into the dealership.

I emailed Mike Miller last night for some insight, but he couldn't help. I'm not surprised because I couldn't give him too much detail on the "chatter" or "tick". Does anyone out there with a Z4 have any idea what this is or experience with this.

Thanks,
Scott

sgoatley2001e46

Post by sgoatley2001e46 »

trying to keep the post alive....anyone have any ideas?

RAYADAM

Post by RAYADAM »

Chances are it is not really a big problem..the newer generation engines can develope some air in the lifters during infrequent driving,cold starts, short trips,etc....

If the ticking is present and can be verified, your local dealer can perform a bleeding procedure for your uncle.

I suggest before going to the dealer,tell your uncle to take it for a good run and keep the rpms no less than 3000rpms (put it in sport mode or manual)..good 20-40 minutes would be good..

most importantly, check the oil level(thru the dash indicator) and be sure the right oil is in the car (should be ok if he uses the full maint plan by BMW)

HTH
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

dtothef

z4 ticking sound

Post by dtothef »

I too have an 06 Z4 3.0i six speed and I also occasionally get that lifter ticking sound when I first start it up. I don't drive it in the winter so this is not related to the outside temp. I was at that same meeting and a fellow named Tim Meritzis of Circle Motorsport BMW Eatontown gave me his card and said that if the trouble persists that BMW would fix it. My problem is that it has only happened maybe three or four times since I got the car in Aug of 06 and it goes away when the engine warms up. It sounds just like the lifters in my first car, a 63 Ford 280 V-8. I mentioned it to my advisor at Bell BMW in Newton where I bought the car and they said that it was normal for my engine to do that sometimes. I just wish it would do it long enough for me to take it Tim. Maybe you should call him there and inquire about the problem with him.

dtothef

correction

Post by dtothef »

That was a 63 Ford 289 V-8. My mistake/typo.

dtothef

correction

Post by dtothef »

That was a 63 Ford 289 V-8. My mistake/typo.

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

The cars in question are probably not high milers, but oil-change frequency may be a factor anyway.

The on-board service-interval indicator on newer Bimmers will suggest engine-oil changes at intervals exceeding 10,000 miles. Indeed, 15,000 miles is not unheard of. The BMW aftermarket-service community abounds with reports of noises as well as expensive engine damage ascribed to sludge buildup caused by excessive oil-change intervals. I have seen photos of motors completely sludged up at 50,000 miles. [Admittedly an extreme case.]

I think that the oil should be changed at least twice as often as suggested by the service-interval indicator. I know many Bimmer owners who have had great success with a 5-6000-mile change interval. For cars still under warranty, use BMW OEM oil and filters. On oil changes done prior to those suggested by the service-interval indicator, do not reset it.

Vic

dtothef

oil change a factor...not me

Post by dtothef »

I change the oil and filter every 5000 miles so that is not the case for me at least.

Doug Finley
06 Z4 3.01 black on black

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

>>I change the oil and filter every 5000 miles << Glad to hear it!

About how many miles do you put on the Bimmer per year?

Vic

dtothef

milage

Post by dtothef »

The first year lots and after that not so much. I got it in Aug of 06 and it has just a little over 20,000 on it now. I don't drive it any time there is salt on the roads so, it gets put away during the cold months. Like I said before, this clicking sound has only happened three or four times. Hate it when it does though because it sounds like a sewing machine. I don't think anybody is going to fix it if it doesn't do it all the time. The last two oil changes I paid extra for the 10-60 M oil.

RAYADAM

Re: milage

Post by RAYADAM »

dtothef wrote:The last two oil changes I paid extra for the 10-60 M oil.
The 10w60 "M" oil is mainly formulated for "M" engines .. I honestly believe you are wasting your money.. BMW recommends either 5w30 or 5w40 synthetic .. that oil can get too thick to flow through the lifters at operating tempuratures..I'm sure you have not done any damage but i highly recommend you go back to the 5w30 the car originally came with..
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

jnscaldwell

Re: milage

Post by jnscaldwell »

RAYADAM wrote:
dtothef wrote:The last two oil changes I paid extra for the 10-60 M oil.
The 10w60 "M" oil is mainly formulated for "M" engines .. I honestly believe you are wasting your money.. BMW recommends either 5w30 or 5w40 synthetic .. that oil can get too thick to flow through the lifters at operating tempuratures..I'm sure you have not done any damage but i highly recommend you go back to the 5w30 the car originally came with..
I'll just throw my $0.02 in here. Don't run the 10W60 in a non-M engine. Ray is spot on (as usual)! I really like the Amsoil 5W40 European Formula oil or the LubroMoly 5W40. I run the LubroMoly 5W40 in my wife's 2004 325cic and the lab results have been excellent for the last three changes. Much better than with the BMW oil. I do 5000 mile changes and I run that oil all year round.

victory1auto

Post by victory1auto »

I, too, agree with not using the 10W60 in a non M motor.

Not to hijack this thread, but will you share your used-oil analyses of the BMW and Amsoil oils?

Thanks.

Vic

jnscaldwell

Post by jnscaldwell »

Vic,
PM sent.

Jeff C.

dtothef

With all due respect

Post by dtothef »

With all due respect to Ray and the other gentleman who commented, the idea to run the 10-60 M oil came straight from your friend and mine, no other than, the great Mike Miller. He said "running 5w oil is a marketing ploy from BMW in that it gets slightly better gas milage" and that "it never hurts to have more viscosity". The dealer balked at the idea as well and gave me some BS story that it could make the vanos fail and void the warranty. When I told them that MM recommended it they said OK no problem. I would bet that you guys know more than I do about the subject but can you argue with Mr. Miller?