MZ3 Suspension recommendations

sab0276

MZ3 Suspension recommendations

Post by sab0276 »

The shocks are pretty much gone on the Roadster. Want to upgrade to get rid of the squat, lean, roll, etc, as well as slightly drop it for looks.

Would rather use Koni's instead of Bilsteins as I have heard the gas-charged Bilsteins can be kinda harsh.

We have 275 rear tires on stock rims and the Butt Strutt, so lowering it too much may be a problem.

Does anybody here have an upgraded suspension on their Z3? Which one do you have and how do you like it?

Anyone going to the Autox this weekend so we can check it out?

-Scott
MyTrackSchedule.com
Duct Tape Motorsports
1991 318is LeMons
1974 2002tii
'01 BMW M Roadster
'07 MCS

jont

Re: MZ3 Suspension recommendations

Post by jont »

sab0276 wrote: Would rather use Koni's instead of Bilsteins as I have heard the gas-charged Bilsteins can be kinda harsh.

We have 275 rear tires on stock rims and the Butt Strutt, so lowering it too much may be a problem.

Does anybody here have an upgraded suspension on their Z3? Which one do you have and how do you like it?

Anyone going to the Autox this weekend so we can check it out?

-Scott
Scott,

While I don't have an MZ3, I do have a 2.8 that I have a Dinan Stage 2. It involves Springs, Shocks, and Struts, f/r Sways, and the Strut Tower Brace. The struts and shocks are Koni Single Adjustable, and the other bits are from Dinan.

While I do love how it drives now, I think it's too low for driving on most of the area's roads, unless they are really smooth. I can't count the number of times I've scraped the undercarriage of my car going over potholes, speed bumps, and driveways. Straddling roadkill is not pleasant.

I do wonder if the rear springs have lowered since they were installed, and that may be causing these issues.

If I were to do it over again, I wouldn't recommend this setup in NJ. If we lived in a state with fewer road inperfections, I'd feel differently. Now, I'd probably just get the Konis, the strut bar, and some Swaybars, and call it a day.

I will be at the autocross on Sunday.
-Jon Trudel, #163357