Engine oil leaks and smoke from exhaust

pld21ski

Post by pld21ski »

I had service completed on my E53 2005 X5 4.41 which included replacing the oil cooler thermostat, o-rings, oil cooler line seals which was the proposed resolution to my oil leaks and smoke from exhaust. Unfortunately the leaks and smoke have once again re-occurred after a short time period. I had the crankscase ventilation valves replaced which also did not remedy the issue. Now I have an estimate for replacing the left timing cover gasket and left valve cover gasket. Need advice and opinion please. :?: :?: :( :?: :?:

RAYADAM

Post by RAYADAM »

Most likely need valve seals replaced
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

sgoatley2001e46

Post by sgoatley2001e46 »

could it also be the valley pan gasket, no? this is the m62 engine, right?

RAYADAM

Post by RAYADAM »

If your X5 is a 2005 with a V8 ,it's a N62. valley pan you are thinking of just seals off coolant. you did say smoke coming from the exhaust,you can even smell the burning oil.. I advise not to let this go too long becuase it is already damaging catalytics and o2 sensors.
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

RAYADAM

Post by RAYADAM »

sorry sgoatley2001e46 , I'm thinking you are the original poster of this thread.obviously you can disregard my questions :wink:
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

sgoatley2001e46

Post by sgoatley2001e46 »

Hi Ray,
I'm not actually the original poster on this thread. That'd be pld21ski.

Although, I did bring up a similar subject a year or so ago because I'd been doing some research on a V8 model I was looking to buy.

Thanks though,
Scott
(sgoatley2001e46)

RAYADAM

Post by RAYADAM »

I realized that after the 4th post, my 5th post apologizes for it :) Lets see if the OP responds to his own thread.
Ray
2011 X5d
2018 Shelby GT350

TimCircleBMW

Post by TimCircleBMW »

Valve guide seals. Not a doubt. Did a dealer do the work?
Tim M

1995 BMW M5 Euro Daytona Violet
1985 Subaru BRAT GL
1992 Mercedes 300D
1998 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
2021 Toyota Tundra 1794 TRD Offroad

pld21ski

Post by pld21ski »

Thank you all for your timely responses. Your opinions steer me in the right direction.

pld21ski

Post by pld21ski »

Tim: In regards to your question, no a BMW dealer did not do the work. It was a shop recommended by the NJ BMW Club. Both you and Ray confirm it's probable that it's the valve guide seals. What does that entail and what is the estimate for repair if you could be so kind ?? :?: :?: :!:

kbsilver

Post by kbsilver »

Welcome to the love hate relationship with the m62 engine. Always wants to leak something or make unusual noises, but gives performance that never disappoints. I've been fighting an oil leak for years. All the usual stuff has been replaced but no one can agree on what's leaking (I think it's the front crank seal). Doesn't smoke or smell, nothing ever needs to be topped off but gives one drip off the bottom every time it's parked. A piece of cardboard changed yearly has been my zero cost solution.
-Keith

'11 335D & '17 340GT

MrMCoupe

Post by MrMCoupe »

Have you checked, or changed, the oil separator?

kbsilver

Post by kbsilver »

How many miles on the X5? Think valve seal/guide issues are unusual for this engine unless it was overheated? I have 150K and except for the drip off the bottom when parked, uses no oil at all. Even with the drip is only 1/4 quart down between 8K mile oil changes. Valve covers, upper timing chain covers and Vanos Solenoid gaskets have been changed on mine.
-Keith

'11 335D & '17 340GT

pld21ski

Post by pld21ski »

I have not changed the oil separator.

Current mileage is 142K. No overheating issues......yet.

I get drips of oil but they are scattered and do not leave just one spot on the garage floor. Smoke comes from exhaust pipes after a short period (2-3 minutes of idling) and when I accelerate from a stopped position. I check oil every other day. (Not easy to get an accurate reading from the stick.)

I now have two opinions:
1) valve guide seals
2) valve covers, upper timing chain covers and vanos solenoid gaskets

QUESTION: KBSILVER: What was your reasoning for the valve cover, upper timing chain covers and solenoid gasket replacement ??

kbsilver

Post by kbsilver »

It sounds as if you have all the above going on. External leaks the ones that drip on the floor, create a burning smell because oil is dripping on the exhaust pipes and burning, and generally getting the engine oily which will cause it to attract dirt and generally just get real dirty. These are the reasons I changed all the gaskets that I mentioned. And at 140K miles you will likely be needing them all. But none of these will cause blue smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe.

Internal leaks that cause oil to get into the combustion chamber will cause blue smoke. You said you had the CVV replaced but not the oil separator. These are the same thing and it's located on the back of the intake manifold. (There is a cyclone oil separator near the timing chain but this is rarely needed and difficult to replace, and do not believe it's failure would cause smoking). So did you or did you not have the CCV/Oil seperator replaced? If not then that is most likely the cause of the smoke from the tailpipe.

If it was already replaced, then the old rule of thumb is if the car smokes on acceleration it's the rings. If it smokes on deceleration (coasting) it's the valves which are valve seals and/or guides.

Hope this helps.
-Keith

'11 335D & '17 340GT