X3 Rear Door Panel Removal

bvanocker325

X3 Rear Door Panel Removal

Post by bvanocker325 »

My wife heard a loud clunk the other day, that came from the rear door behind the driver seat. The window no longer works, but can go full travel up and down by pushing the glass. Somehow the motor and/or regulator became disconnected from the window. Bazaar! Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

I’m fairly handy and thought to just take the inside panel off, and have a look see. But I have no idea where to start. I found one screw in the arm rest/handle, but removing didn’t loosen anything. Are there clips somewhere that get popped out, or is there some magic sequence to expose fasteners? Any suggestions?

Regards, Bill

edw1

Re: X3 Rear Door Panel Removal

Post by edw1 »

bvanocker325 wrote:My wife heard a loud clunk the other day, that came from the rear door behind the driver seat. The window no longer works, but can go full travel up and down by pushing the glass. Somehow the motor and/or regulator became disconnected from the window. Bazaar! Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

I’m fairly handy and thought to just take the inside panel off, and have a look see. But I have no idea where to start. I found one screw in the arm rest/handle, but removing didn’t loosen anything. Are there clips somewhere that get popped out, or is there some magic sequence to expose fasteners? Any suggestions?

Regards, Bill
It happens all the time in E46s thanks to an extremely poor quality regulator made from way too much plastic. I know nothing about the X3 regulator replacement but I would guess it is similar to the job on the E46. Google "e46 window regulator replacement" for info. There are tons of videos and DIY writeups out there.

If you have rear side impact airbags, be very careful about hanging the airbag out of the way. You probably do not have to disconnect the airbag which usually results in an airbag fault light due to a trick in the connector itself.

Removal of the vapor barrier for regulator replacement almost guarantees a long term leak in an E46. Both regulators replaced in my E46 under warranty leaked even though the dealer did the work under warranty. Get some fresh butyl rubber tape (a.k.a. "window weld" from 3M) to reseal the vapor barrier.
ImageImage

bvanocker325

Post by bvanocker325 »

Hi Ed, Thanks for the heads up. It saved me big time. Door panel's removed and the adhesive behind the vapor barrier has been carefully pealed away. Just have to tackle the broken part of the regulator, but ran out of light. Should have it sorted out in the morning.