2005 X5 4.4 - No Heat

nj325ci

2005 X5 4.4 - No Heat

Post by nj325ci »

Posting for a friend who is a fellow NJBMWCCA member:

Need assistance in an attempt to determine why I have no heat. Here is what I know thus far:

1) Thermostat is operational as my vehicle warms up properly and temperature gauge reads normal operating temps.
2) Climate Control Module functioning and was replaced less than two years ago under certification. I am able to set temp, fan speed and direct air flow but it only blows cool air. A/C is operational.
3) Water pump has been replaced. Drive belt just replaced last week.

I did check into the Final Stage Resistor (FSR) through another forum and learned that if the A/C is operational the FSR may not be the issue.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you~

kbsilver

Post by kbsilver »

Is there no heat at all including the floor well, or is there just cold air coming out of the dash vents. If the latter we often forget about the little thumbwheel that controls the air temp from the dash that blows on your face. Turn it so one or more red dots are visible.
-Keith

'11 335D & '17 340GT

MrMCoupe

Post by MrMCoupe »

I think that model has a secondary water pump and you should have a heater valve. They would be located near the rear of the engine. I would replace the heater valve & hoses first.

Mark

jont

Post by jont »

You mention the water pump and belt being replaced. Was the cooling system properly bled afterward?
-Jon Trudel, #163357

pld21ski

BMW X5 - NO HEAT !

Post by pld21ski »

I am responding to the message left by nj325ci on my behalf.

The water pump was replaced over 18 months ago and I have gone through a winter season with heat since so I don't think that could be the issue.

The secondary water pump and hose may very well be the issue. I was not aware there was a secondary pump and will have that checked. Is that something I could check or a more mechanically inclined friend ??? ...I hope

I have no heat on floor or from vents. I have adjusted the thumb wheels.

Thank you ALL for your comments. Definitely points me in the right direction.

pld21ski

Post by pld21ski »

I checked my Bentley Manual also and here is what I found about the heater valve replacement:

1) Drain engine coolant. Allow the engine to cool thoroughly before opening or draining the cooling system.

2) Working in engine compartment at left strut tower:
* Detach electrical connector at heater valve;
* Loosen hose clamps. Pull coolant hoses off valve.
Use shop towels to catch dripping coolant

3) Pull heater valve out of rubber mounts.

Installation is reverse of removal. Remember to:

* inspect hoses and rubber mounts, replace as necessary. Use new
hose clamps.
* fill and bleed cooling system

TIGHTENING TORQUE: Coolant Hose Clamp 32-48 mm (1 1/4 - 2 in)
2.5 Nm (22 in-lb)

Source: Bentley Publishers.com BMW X5 Service Manual